Quick substrate question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDAWG

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I'm sick of my crushed coral and I want some new substrate. Should I go ahead and get some Argonite? I've heard live sand is a rip off.

I wouldn't pay for the live stuff... Sounds like wet sand to me. Go with the dry stuff and seed with LS from a LFS. Were you thinking of a DSB? Check local HD stores to see if they have Tropical Play Sand... check out forums here for more info on the aragonite sand.

Awesome, thanks guys.

Two more questions. One, I can switch substrate with the fish still in the tank, right? And two, If I get a DSB how much LS should I get from the LFS to seed it? And if I don't get a DSB?

Thanks.

I would pull the CC out a little at a time to allow your bio filter to catch up while you're switching. It would be ideal if you could put in a fuge, even temorarily, to hold the sand while you get the CC out of tank. I think if you did it all at once you'd be asking for trouble. Not sure how much sand to get, I'd probably let it go live by itself with the LR I had in the tank.

I would remove the CC in 3 sections giving time for the bacteria to grow. Tank out 1/3 and add sand to that section removed trying not to mix with CC.
Add sand through a 2-3" piecs of PVC pipe. Pour sand down pvc and slowly lift and move to where you need it. This should help keep the sand storm down.
I would do this over a 4-6 weeks.... Good luck and you will be happy you got rid of the CC. In your sig you say you have ls in your tank already? if you do I would use that over to seed the new sand just remove the CC...

Someone here posted a link to a thread on another forum about a guy in TX who bought 2 pallets of Southdown. He was charging $15 per bag and would bring it to a local reefer club meeting. You might want to do a search for that thread. It was within the past 2 weeks.

cmor1701d said:
Someone here posted a link to a thread on another forum about a guy in TX who bought 2 pallets of Southdown. He was charging $15 per bag and would bring it to a local reefer club meeting. You might want to do a search for that thread. It was within the past 2 weeks.

Yeah, nickthepainter actually posted that link a couple of posts up^. Anyway, I'm glad he did because I am happy to say I contacted the guy selling it and purchased two 40lb. bags of Yardright for only $30!! :D

And thanks again to every one for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom