R.I.P Spot :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copachick

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need some insight.
I have a 29g tank with Platys, neons..etc.

We do about a 25% water change every week. We've had our fish for months so they are use to water changes. THey dont seem to care anymore.
Everyone seemed fine beforehand last night, right after the water change, one of my Platys wasnt active and stayed at the top. This morning she was dead... Any idea why?

This happened about 2 months ago with another fish. He seemed just fine but then not even an hour after we did a pwc, he died.

Any ideas?

Right after a PWC... do you use a dechlorinator? Do you match the temperature of the PWC water to the water in the tank?

Or most likely: What is the pH measure of your tap compared to your aquarium? Some water will have pH buffers that will evaporate out in 24 hours after coming out of the tap. If that's the case, then the pH in your aquarium might be significantly lower than the pH from your tap, and they could be dying of pH shock.

Test your water for pH from the tap, then leave it overnight and test again in the morning. If it drops, then you'll want to have your water sit out before using it in a PWC.

No we've never used a dechlorinator. Just stress coat. We do match the temperature as best we can definitely. Ill test my PH when I get home. I know we just did a test on everything just the other day and things were spot on. Ill test the tap as well

Stress coat works as a dechlorinator as well, so it's fine as long as you use it with every water change. =] Also, do you have readings for your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

Back
Top Bottom