Radion LED fell in tank!!! HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookechooka89

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

I was aquascaping my tank and knocked my radion LED into my tank! At $1000 a light, I really want to do as much as I can to salvage it!

This has JUST HAPPENED! I can't find anything online in regards to LED lighting that has fallen into anyone's tank and how they have reacted to possibly save the light.

Once it had fallen in, it was flashing like it was about to completely die. I went to grab it because I wanted it out of the tank quick smart then realised I'd get electrocuted! I turned the power board that the light was plugged into off, took it out and is now sitting on its side out in the sun. I'm scared :( I think I just literally threw $1000 down the drain! I'm so upset!

A few things I've found with regards to normal lights with ballasts etc. is to use ro/di water and wipe it down to get rid of the corrosive effect that saltwater can have, and then to put it into a black garbage bag with some rice and sit it back out in the sun. This all makes sense but has anyone ever taken a radion LED apart??? If so, how the hell do I do that!? Let's be real, my warranty is null and void as soon as water is involved, so it's either completely written off, or I can do all I can to salvage it! Lol

Thanks in advance guys!

Brooke

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I did the same thing with my leds. I rinsed in rodi and let the dry for a week. When I plugged them in one worked perfectly but the other two had water on the boards. An electric engineer who said to just plug it in and let it run for a few days to dry that out.

I had my leds fall in my tank they sat in there for a good few hours because my girlfriend done it and was scared to touch it I pukked the lights apart dried them out and plugged them in one of the power supplys was fried so I just replaced that

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Daryl. I'll update you all on how I go. I've contacted ecotech to see what my options are (in the way of replacement etc). But if they say "Nope! You have no chance of getting anything from us", then I'll pull it apart and use rodi water to clean all parts and dry it out, cross my fingers and turn it back on!

When I contacted my supplier I told them there was some water damage and I got sent out the new parts for free

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can get contact cleaner from radioshack, spray all exposed metal with it to avoid any rust or corrosion

I dropped my old led light in the tank now all it does is blink
been hoping to find someone local to fix them could use them on my 37g

Back
Top Bottom