random question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
My friend is relatively new to aquariums, but he "inherited" a 29 gallon tank. I think its a standard 29 gallon tank so its kind of tall (quite different than my 30 gallon long) and he really wants to get a bunch of cories. Would his tank be ok for cories? cuz I know they need to swim up to the surface from time to time. What about mollies too?

Looks like a 29 gallon is only 18" tall. That's not all that tall really and the cories wouldn't have any trouble getting to the surface for a gulp of air. Mollies should be fine as well.

My corys are quite happy in my 29 gallon. Mollys are pretty fish. A trio of sailfins in a planted (either real or silk) 29 gallon would be a nice display. It is one of the things I am thinking on.

My concern with mixing them would be Mollys like it warm and hard and corys are the opposite. Fish are adaptable so with a little patience could work out well.

It sounds like you're saying cories like it cold and soft, which is the opposite of what I've heard but I guess you have more experience so who knows. Anyway, I have cories and mollies in a room temperature tank (~72F) but I'm planning to get a larger tank eventually and then switch up some of the fish. I assumed I could keep the cories and mollies together, but I'm definitely moving the goldfish to their own tank. For the future mollies/cories/pleco tank would I need a heater or is room temp ok?

Mollys like high 70s most corys like low mid 70s. Some do like higher temps. Mollys come from hard water areas corys mostly form soft water areas. Since they all are tank bred they will adjust. It is just worth pointing out that they really do not come from the same type of water in the wild.

You need a heater both of those fish need at least 73-75 F.

And even if your room temp gets higher than 72, it probably dips lower than that at night and the heater will prevent the temp dips.

I keep Cories in my 29g as well and they have no problems getting to the top for air.

I have three emerald green cory cats that I have had for a year my tank stays betweem 78 and 80 degrees warm vs. cold days. I also have very hard water. They are very active and fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom