Rasbora with growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is a pic of my harlequin rasbora. He looks like he has a couple if lumps on him a d the lumps looks slightly grey and maybe fuzzy? Can you tell me what he has and how I should treat him?

Attachments

• image-4000756505.jpg
    image-4000756505.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 317
Hi Heather! Is he acting normal (eating well, no flashing, swimming normally)? Is he the only fish with this? Have you felt the lump (firm or soft/squishy)? Is there any discharge or anything else weird about it? I will be honest, I am not exactly positive what he has. The lumps are perfectly round which makes me wonder if its some type of odd parasite or just simply an unusual growth/tumor. I would qt him and observe him/the lump for any changes.

Hy Rasbora had something similar. On his dorsal fin there was a white lump. I asked around and there was nothing that really diagnosed the problem. I don't mean to scare you but shortly after I discovered the lump on mine they died shortly after. The only other thing that was wrong was their color got very dark.

Thanks everyone. I will keep an eye on him. He seems to be acting fine. Should I add salt to the tank? I have loaches in there and I can never remember if I am supposed to add half the amount for them (my database with all my history crashed so I am starting all over on my notes)

Well my guy is still hanging in there - not much has changed in his condition. I will let you know if I see anything new

Well, I pulled him out and cleaned the spots with hydrogen peroxide. the q-tip comes back with a grey or blackish discoloring on it. almost like I rubbed off mold or something from his body. also, i rubbed off a speck - hard and firm from one of the lumps - kind of like a grain of sand but black in color. he still continues to eat and act normally other than this but the lumps are continuing to grow. I am now moving him into the qt tank.

any help would be appreciated

Ok, I'll be honest, I am not sure what he has. Black moldy substance rubbing off sounds like an atypical fungal issue but it still doesn't explain the odd lump. Is he a newer fish or one you have had from the start of this tank?

Let's try treating him with an anti fungal type med such as tetra fungus meds (mild antibiotics and anti fungal in it). Methylene blue is another option but it will affect your qt's cycle (and stain everything blue). Worth a try! Keep us posted!

JLK- this guy is one of my originals. I will post a pic today of what he looks like now.

Thats very strange because your originals have been treated with pretty much every possible med out there perhaps with the exception of true antifungals (I think but I may be wrong...). Lets see how he looks when you are able to post a pic and give an antifungal a try! If that does nothing, maybe an antiparasite med? Not sure what else to suggest here because I have not seen this before.

Back
Top Bottom