red film on sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill_B

Aquarium Advice Regular
55 gallon hex, setup about 5 months, about 40+ lbs of live rockstocking list yellow tang, 2 clowns, 3 damsels (spotted, 3 strip and blue) anemone and a few coral frags

about a month ago I started getting a red "film" on the sand, not really going anywhere else mainly staying on the sand.

any ideas on fixes? I vacummed it up during a water change and it came right back.

test results

1.23 salinity
0 amonia
0 nitrate
0 nitrite
8.2 ph

previous thread:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/55-gallon-hex-saltwater-132778.html

Last edited:
Cyanobacteria. Cut way back on feeding, siphon it out when doing PWCs, add some more flow to the area.
What kind of light do you have over the tank. It could also be from old bulbs that have changed spectrum.

Cyano bacteria is brought on from excess nutrients, low water flow and the wrong spectrum lighting can add to the problem also.
Just to go through the litany once again:
1. cut back the lights to 4 hours or less /day
2. cut feedings to every 2-3 days
3. cut amount fed at feedings
4. continue to do 20% weekly PWC with RO/DI water
5. vacuum out the cyano during a PWC
6. test water for PO4 and it tests above .03 start using GFO, Phosban or similar
7. test for nitrate and get 0 for a reading
8. replace all bulbs (PC older than 6 months, MH over a year, etc.)
9. add or move a PH or two to achieve more flow in the affected areas
=========================================================================================
Chemi-clean by Boyd Enterprises. It will take care of the Cyano in your tank in just a few days. It is reef safe. It is a last resort. You need to get to the source of the problem or it will come right back.

sounds and looks a but like cyanobacteria, whats the lighting schedule and how often do you feed your fish?

EDIT: darn you got to it right before i posted!

thanks for the quick replies

Cyanobacteria. Cut way back on feeding, siphon it out when doing PWCs, add some more flow to the area.
What kind of light do you have over the tank. It could also be from old bulbs that have changed spectrum.

Cyano bacteria is brought on from excess nutrients, low water flow and the wrong spectrum lighting can add to the problem also.
Just to go through the litany once again:
1. cut back the lights to 4 hours or less /day
Will try that starting tomorrow

2. cut feedings to every 2-3 days
already did

3. cut amount fed at feedings
have done that

4. continue to do 20% weekly PWC with RO/DI water
5. vacuum out the cyano during a PWC
I've been using tap so i'll have to switch, where can i buy it other than gallons at Walmart, dont have the money for a RODI unit at the moment

6. test water for PO4 and it tests above .03 start using GFO, Phosban or similar
don't have a PO4 test, need one

7. test for nitrate and get 0 for a reading
already getting 0

8. replace all bulbs (PC older than 6 months, MH over a year, etc.)
florescent bulbs were replaced right when I started the tank. saving up for the Marineland Reef ready LED

9. add or move a PH or two to achieve more flow in the affected areas

i'll try that too, just skiming the sand?
=========================================================================================
Chemi-clean by Boyd Enterprises. It will take care of the Cyano in your tank in just a few days. It is reef safe. It is a last resort. You need to get to the source of the problem or it will come right back.

well just realized that the Instant Ocean test kit I have does calcium and phosphate

phosphate low range .3
calcium 375 (25 drops times 15)

Phosphate needs to be under .03 so you need to get that down. Check your tap water for phosphates.
You can get RO water at some WalMart's and grocery stores. It's the machine where you refill your own containers.
Even store bought water needs to be tested with a tds meter to see if the filters are working (or have been replaced).

There's a new sticky thread on the cost of an RODI unit showing the payback is less than a year.

Your calcium level is on the low side too.

Back
Top Bottom