Redish, Purpleish Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garygrzy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All -

This is my first post to this site. I have a question for all about my saltwater tank. My tank (46gal) is a mix between reef (28lbs of live rock and 40lbs of live sand) and fish (8 fish) and I am having problems with a certain kind of red bacteria. I have been told by my local saltwater experts that it is called cyno (sp) bacteria. It is a hard, redish, purpleish growth that is taking over the rock, some of the sand and the walls of the tank. I have an emperor 400, two jet pumps to move the water and a protein skimmer. Does anyone know how to clean this bacteria up completely? Please help.

Gary

garygrzy said:
It is a hard, redish, purpleish growth that is taking over the rock, some of the sand and the walls of the tank.
Cyanobacteria is not hard, it's slimey and quite gooey to the touch and will wipe off with ease. It sounds more like coralline algae which is hard (unless velvet coralline) and must be scraped off. Can you post a pic?

Cheers
Steve

is coraline algae not good for the reef? My tank is two months old and the rock is starting to take on different colors of purple, red and some green.

Coraline is both very good and very pretty!!!!

You should feel lucky, many people don't have enough of it and their rock looks dead.

YOu will need to remove it from the sides of your glass though, this is where your razor blades will come in handy.

post some pics so we can determine if it is infact coraline algea or not.

bacteria

I will post a pic to show all of you. Yes the bacteria is hard, not soft at all. I will get a pic to show all of you in the next day or so..I have to get my camera back from my brother.

Bearfan said:
Coraline is good for the tank. Velvet is not.
Actually there is a species of coralline that has a velvety texture and is just as beneficial as regular coralline, nothing wrong with it. Most times it will grow in the shadowed area's of the tank and does not like strong light.

Cheers
Steve

bacteria

Do you have a pic of this coraline?..I wonder if what I am facing is the same that you are talking about..yours sounds much nicer then what i am facing

Sorry no pics at the moment but I can try and get a pic later. I have some beneath my Ritteri anemone if I can get a clear pic (and the camera co-operates). The easiest way to determine cyano from coralline is run your finger across it. If coralline, you would end up damaging your finger nail to even scrape a small bit. If cyano, it will slide off onto your finger quite easily.

Cheers
Steve

Bacteria

Hello Steve -

Based on your last post and the definition of coraline that is what i have. I did some looking around at some of the pics on this site and they have what I am seeing my tank. Do you know of some way to remove this from the tank? Please advise.

..I'm still trying to get over the fact that someone wants to remove coralline.

I think some starfish and urchins are known to prey on it, though I'm not sure which.

My serpent star couldn't seem to care less about it.

I guess with lack of other options.. grab a razor blade.. scrape it off.. then send it to me :mrgreen:

it will be quite difficult to remove. I honestly can't think of anything to offer. I need to use a razor blade to remove it from the glass when it builds up on my glass. I used to have a Long Spined sea-urchin that did a great job at eating the stuff... part of the reason I got rid of him! But he was also damaging my SPS corals, so if you plan on any corals a long spine urchin may not be a good idea.

Re: Bacteria

garygrzy said:
Do you know of some way to remove this from the tank? Please advise.
Excellent advice from the others but unless it's on the galss and blocking your viewing of the tank, I'm wondering why you want it removed?

Cheers
Steve

what is the best way to promote coraline growth in a tank. my 50g is 2 months old and i'm starting to get that hard purpleish growth on my rocks. i think it's really pretty. can this process be spead up?

coraline

Hey Guys -

Steve, the reason I was looking for to remove the coraline is that my wife gets bothered by it ..and the only way to remove it right now is to scrape it so we can see the fish. I was looking for a way to somehow manage it and its growth so it is not so evasive. But I am finding out that that is not really the case is it? It is pretty to look at on the live rock though.

ah! we thought you wanted it off your rocks!!!

Yeah, pretty much the only good way to remove it from your glass is to scrape it off.

Just one of the downsides of SW fishkeeping!

AHH! it does make much more sense now!

The best way to get it off your glass... is to not let it grow there in the first place. I have a mag-float algae scrubber, I pass this over the entire viewing section of the tank 2 or 3 times a week (takes about 30 seconds on my 55) and this prevents most algaes from forming as they're not given a chance to start. But, once they have a foothold, a razorblade (as long as its glass, not acrylic) is your best friend. But once you've got the scraping done, regular cleaning with a scrubber like a magfloat should keep most of it from forming in the first place!

Back
Top Bottom