RedSea Reefer 425XL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexrd09

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I'm working on setting up a new reefer 425XL. My 47 gallon bow front blew a seal and I almost lost everything. I managed to save about 40 gallons of water, the live stock and live rock. I will have a bunch of questions as I go setting the tank up but for now I am wondering if 2 kessil A160s will be enough for this tank. I would like to eventually get SPS in this display but for now I just have softies and some LPS.

So sorry to hear about your bowfront blowing a seam. Was it in the front where the bow is? (I love bowfronts, have a 72G now and keep hearing horror stories) Thank goodness you got it rescued in time.

Those should go UP to 24", Though I don't know what the par would be. And I believe when I was looking at my tank and lights, I decided I might even need 3 for my 4' tank. It's been about 3+ years since I was looking, and mostly forgot all that info.

This is a 5 foot tank?

Hey,

Yea, it was the front seam. I was freaking out but got a game plan together and saved almost everything. We will see if they make it through this whole process. The trouble is going to be getting the new tank up and running. Im going to have to add the live stock in quick so im using the water I salvaged from my old display along with the new rock and biomedia to try to get it to cycle quicker. Everything is crammed into a 29 gallon and 10 gallon right now and I'm not sure how long they will make it with the filtration I have running.

The tank is 22" inches tall x 47". Im considering a 3rd kessil but I dont want to waste the money if I'm going to need to upgrade to stronger lights in the long run.

Based on what I've seen on other posts im going to run the following:

Redsea RSK 300 skimmer

Varios S-6 return pump

2x vortech MP40 wave makers

The Kessils should be fine with 2 as I believe they can cover about 2 feet squares and you can always add the 3rd once you get heavier into the sps or feel that you need it

Thanks BigRed, yea I have 2 Kessils that I was running on the Bow Front. Ill consider adding a 3rd.

Any recomendations on transferring the live stock. Will I still need to cycle the tank if I'm using ~ 30 Gallons of my tanks water and the same live rock, filter socks and biomedia? The new tank has a total volume (display and sump) of 112 gallons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d just make up fresh batch of water personally, but you’ve kept the rock in a different system with the fish right? If so then it should be more than enough to support the same bio load you had, if adding more rock I’d give that time to populate with bb before adding any new live stock though.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering what was the best way to do it. I dont have time to run full cycle on it.

I’d just make up fresh batch of water personally, but you’ve kept the rock in a different system with the fish right? If so then it should be more than enough to support the same bio load you had, if adding more rock I’d give that time to populate with bb before adding any new live stock though.
Took your advice added new water and used the same liverock and the biomedia from the same tank. Let's see how they do. Ill be adding additional live rock soon but will give it a few months before I add any new livestock.

Back
Top Bottom