Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

williemccall

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was just wondering if I could do a basic refuge for my 55 gallon tank. I was thinking about using a small powerhead to pump water up into my 30 gallon tank, which would have live rock and some plant life in it, and let it overflow back into the reef tank. Just started thinking about this, and so far only have the 2 tanks cycling right now so I have plenty of time to plan it out and do it right. Any help is appreciated. Also thinking a protein skimmer in the refuge?

I would do a sump filter with with a fuge and have the water go to the fuge and have it pump it to the sump with the skimmer in the sump and then back to the tank I think that would give u the better filtering for ur tank

If you are using the refuge for nutrient export and don't care about pods the skimmer is fine in there. But, if you want a good pod population put the skimmed elsewhere as it will pull a lot of them out being in there. You should be fine pumping it up and draining it down. Lots of people do fuges above displays.

You'd have to make sure that your drain stays clear since it won't be forced out ando nly using gravity. If it clogged you'd overfill it and drain part of your DT.

just keep it basic with a 3 partition sump,1st section for skimmer and heater,2nd for fuge and 3rd for return pump,use filter socks as long as you change them weekly.

Back
Top Bottom