Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vdubzboi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!!.. I have a boyu TL-450 with a boyu 308 protein skimmer with about 4 kilos of live rock and 2inch deep live sand. I have 2 false perc clown fish, 3 hermit crabs, some snails, a tuxedo sea urchin, frogspawn and zoas. My nitrate level is at 10mg/l but i cant seem to lower it even if i do a water changes once a week. I've read up about refugiums how they can reduce phosphate and nitrate levels. I was thinking about making one in one of the compartments at the back of the tank. Does anybody have any ideas on how i can successfully do this?

Hi all!!.. I have a boyu TL-450 with a boyu 308 protein skimmer with about 4 kilos of live rock and 2inch deep live sand. I have 2 false perc clown fish, 3 hermit crabs, some snails, a tuxedo sea urchin, frogspawn and zoas. My nitrate level is at 10mg/l but i cant seem to lower it even if i do a water changes once a week. I've read up about refugiums how they can reduce phosphate and nitrate levels. I was thinking about making one in one of the compartments at the back of the tank. Does anybody have any ideas on how i can successfully do this?

Do you currently have a canister filter? I have heard they can become nitrate factories. If so, taking all the media out of it could be the answer but I would ask someone who knows more than I do. I have one and so far have had no trouble but I expect I will over time.

Even if you do them weekly? How often were you doing water changes adn how much do you feed and how often? That can build up nitrtaes just as quick.

I do weekly water changes and always have on almost eveyrt ank I have and run 0 nitrates usually.

I dont have a canister filter...just the standard wet/dry filter that comes with the tank..i feed my fish once a day with granules and about three times a week a swap the granules with mysis shrimps... I might be that my skimmer hasnt been working since yesterday not totally sure.

Sorry i mean my skimmer only started working yesterday

Are youusing ro/di water? And if so or even if not, have you tested that water before salting it for nitrates? Just a thought.

Also could be the bio balls, they are known to collect nitrates. :-(

I buy ro water from my lfs but Never thought of testing the water for nitrates..i will make sure i do that next water change.. Although my tank is doing pretty well, its been running for about 5weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom