Rescaped and semi-restocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I got rid of the tiger barbs, removed most of the rocks added new plants driftwood and some neons

Current stock:

1 balloon molly
4 angels
2 bolivian rams
7 platies
5 peppered corys
4 black skirt tetra
2 oto and
9 neons

I know neons n angels are a no no but the lfs gave them to me for 3 dollars

Oh yeah I totally forgot to add my question, has any body tried to put a betta in a 75 gallon planted tank and how did that turned out

Depends on the bettas personality. Best way to decide if a betta is good for a community tank is to put them in with a few ghost shrimp, depending how the betta reacts, it will decide his compatibility. This is my opinion though...
Worked for me.

Hello all,i put a single betta in 55 gallon tank.it stayed in a fake plant never explored anywhere but that little space.not very exciting at all.i went saltwater then upgraded to the 90 show36 by 24 by 25. Its the best betta is in a 1 gallon doing great though! !!!!!

I had one in my 75g and it was all over the tank. Pretty cool until it decided to jump.

Depends on the bettas personality. Best way to decide if a betta is good for a community tank is to put them in with a few ghost shrimp, depending how the betta reacts, it will decide his compatibility. This is my opinion though...
Worked for me.

ok ill try that

Hello all,i put a single betta in 55 gallon tank.it stayed in a fake plant never explored anywhere but that little space.not very exciting at all.i went saltwater then upgraded to the 90 show36 by 24 by 25. Its the best betta is in a 1 gallon doing great though! !!!!!

cool i used to breed this guys this guy is from one of my first batches and mos of his life he spent it in a 1 gallon bowl

I had one in my 75g and it was all over the tank. Pretty cool until it decided to jump.

see i wanna put him in the 75 gallon that i have due to lack of red but i was told that bettas get sick in big tanks due to lack of personal space/ too many other fish

They definitely don't get sick in big tanks. Bettas love big tanks! Not all bettas have the personality for a community however. If you want to try and add one, which I think may work with your current stock, you need to have a back up plan. If you don't have another tank you can immediately remove the betta to in the event it's picking on others or being picked on, I wouldn't try it. Some bettas can also seem fine in a community tank for quite some time and then problems can arise later. That being said, I've had great luck with bettas in communities.

You may already know about the balloon mollies, but just in case, I want to let you know they are bred to be deformed like that with curved spines, and often have swimming issues and other health problems. I would encourage you to purchase natural mollies in the future. :)

yeah i learned that later on when i got it it was on the petsmart 5 for 5 and i got 4 platis and they were out of anything else that was healthy so i got her,

also i have read mised opinions on bettas and bolivian rams

The cichlid/betta mix is the most likely to result in problems out of all of your stock, but some do keep bettas with angels and rams without any issues.

Skirt tetras could potentially cause a problem as they tend to be nippy, so I would go for a proper school of 6 or more, and you'll be less likely to have them damage the betta.

the 2nd betta that i purchased was from a LFS, he was in a 10g tank with a bunch of angels. i took this as a sign that he would do fine in a community setting. brought him home, put him in an established 10g tank about a 3 weeks later i added 5 smaller fish (i dont remember what they were exactly, it was 4 years ago) over the next 3 days his killed them. about a month after that, i rehomed him to another tank of mine, 30g community tank. he his in the corner by the heater. 3 days later he died. im guessing from stress. i felt so bad, but i was new to fish and i just keep it in mind as a learning experience.

-- i would say it is hit and miss with bettas in community tanks
- i would say if you do transfer him, keep an eye out and look for signs of stress or aggression

i had my share of luck with bettas and community but i personally never had a betta in a community bigger than 29 gallons, and since i have a 75 i was wondering, i might not do that to him due that he has lived pretty much all his live in a tank by himself and be ing in a big tank with other fish might be stress ful, i might go and get a small one and try my luck but idk yet

rreekers said:
it's fantastic that you are planning rather than irrationally making decisions like most people do

Dont get me wrong ive done my share of mistakes but since I started this tank im tryin to do things right

Back
Top Bottom