Ryukin swim bladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cbcrash

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a ryukin that has had swim bladder for years but still eats like a horse and is plenty active. I feed him peas. Huge water changes to lower or reduce nitrates. I have done a ton of reading and asking around. I dont just throw food on the top, I soak veggie flakes or peas until air is out then feed him. I am almost gonna take him to a vet and have an X-ray done. He has hard time swimming, don't know if I should raise water temp for digestion. He is upside down sometimes. Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thank u

Hi! Sounds like your doing the right things though stay on top of the big wcs so your nitrates never get high in the first place (under 10ppm if possible). You may want to consider switching to a homemade gel food instead of the flakes- processed foods can further aggravate SB issues. Some fancies have a dramatic turnarounds (though not all do) when placed on a gel food diet with lots of daily veggies. Bits of cooked spinach is actually preferred over peas due to their high sugar content for SB. Check out The GAB (goldfish and aquarium board) for easy recipes.

Unfortunately, there really isnt a 'cure' for SB disorders due to a fancy's physical conformation. Your guy sounds healthy & active! I know a few (very few!) people who have had success with surgical interventions but this is an extreme measure. I would give the gel food a try & see if it makes any difference. I would love to here what your aquatic vet suggests if you do seek the aid of one! Good luck & keep us posted!! :)

Back
Top Bottom