Saltwater Fishtank..what type of substrate should I use??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey85

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am buying a 55 gallon saltwater fish tank from Petsmart that comes with a hood. Will my MarineLand 350 bio wheel fit into the hood? I think the brand of the fish tank is TopFin.
I also have a underground gravel filter/cleaning thing and was wondering what type of substrate should I use with this? Should I get aragonite gravel?? Or something else?

Thanks!

The hood should have a plastic strip in back that can be cut/snapped off for your filter. Most in SW go without a hood and have an open top with egg crate or mesh; it's better for gas/air exchange. Depending on what type of tank you're going to keep the lighting may have to be upgraded. FO or FOWLR tanks don't need additional lighting; you will have to upgrade if you plan to keep corals. Aragonite substrate is great for pH buffering; that's what I would recommend. The UGF is up to you to use or not; I do not use one.

i would not use an undergravel filter. there is no way i would want to pull uneaten food and fish poop into the substrate. you are better off without it. just use aragonite based sand. slightly larger than sugar sized.

Back
Top Bottom