Saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kade

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone give me an estimate on how much a salt water tank will cost to set up( include gravel, salt, substrate and corals and what ever else I would need) I have a 155 litre tank
Thanks for your help

Well, coral is considered livestock so it wouldn't be part of "set up". Here is a list of costs for me setting up my recent 44g excluding tank and stand since you already have those.

Marineland Visitherm heater 200w- $20
API SW test kit - $23
Emperor 280 HOB filter - $26
Marcorocks: 50lb dry/ 10lb LR combo - $147
Marcorocks: 40Lb Bahama Aragonite sand - $30
45g of Premix SW - $45

Total =$291 (This doesn't include shipping)

130 gallon setup

300 for skimmer
1200 for 12 lamp fixture
140 for power heads
350 for sump water pump
70 for aqua clear 110
50 for 30 gal sump tank
400 for tank and stand that's cheap.
450 for all my LR and I got about 70 pounds for free
130 for sand

So that's already over 3000. Don't tell my girlfriend tho. I always fib about the pricing. Most of my stuff was new, you can get better deals then that. Also have about 2000 in livestock and corals.

Cost ?? :D
You might as well no do it if you are thinking of a budget. This is NOT a inexpensive hobby.
I'm sure you would be investing 3-5 thousand
It's not hard to do truthfully
All the best :)

Lots of ppl lie about how much they spend, I guess they feel embarrassed, I always compare myself to a smoker. Or a alcoholic. Cause they spend more on booze or cigarettes in a year then I do on my aquarium

It's not cheap man haha but it is an awesome hobby. Very rewarding and is 10 times better than freshwater. No one really gets excited over a freshwater tank but when friends see saltwater they love it. If you're on a budget I'd suggest a smaller tank I have a 40 gallon and it isn't too expensive. Ive probably spent less than 1000

Craigslist is your friend, also find a local forum and go through the for sale. Lots of people come and go from this hobby. You can find some great deals from other people.

im still on the lookout on craigslist for a bigger tank atleast 125g i thought i found one a couple days ago but when i went to go look at it the stand was horrible no room for any sump underneath and i want it all in one piece

You can set up a tank on a strict budget. It can take some creativity but it can be done. Maintaining a tank figure about $2 per week per gallon. RO water electric, food and salt

Look around for good used equipment from e.people that are upgrading or downsizing.

There are a couple of things you will want a refractometer, liquid test kits and ATO.

Joy13
How do you figure $2.00 a day per gallon to maintain a reef aquarium.Example,I have a 75 gallon with 20 gallon sump.Taking out for rock and equipment displacement I figure I have 70 actual water volume.That would be $140 a day?I think there would be very few of us around if that was the case.

It is the hidden cost people don't think about. My water and electric is doubled since my saltwater tanks. The cost of bulb replacement is 300 alone for the 4 bulbs. Then all the food, salt, test kits and the equipment that seems to need to be replaced for one reason or another.

Come on now Joy13 ,you edited your post to say $2.00 per gallon per week,before it was $2.00 per gallon per day LOL. Per week might be close.

My 40 gallon weekly upkeep isn't much at all really. Maybe 5 dollars a week? Of course you have the occasional purchase mixed in every now and then

I started a 58 gallon roof tank where I got the tank and stand for free. This is what I've done so far... 300 for LED reef ready light, 160 for protein skimmer, 40 for pump, 400 for 100 lbs live rock, about 40 for salt, then assorted filter media would be about another 50 to start. Then there's livestock with 60 in clowns, 25 for falcon hawk, 40 for sailfin tang, about 30 for various snails and hermits and 15 for pseudo, and 20 for yellow watchman which has dissapeard ( I suspect he went into the liverock and just never came out for 2 weeks now, we assume he's a goner ). And I haven't even started with corals yet. But that's only the beginning, cause once I can get corals, that's when it's all over for me and ever having money again.

For my 175 gal
Given tank, stand, sump, skimmer, all pumps and power heads, some sand, most of the water. All that for free. Then we bought 400lb live rock 2900$, 3 x 400 watt MH 1200$, and 120lb sand 120$ so that means about 4200$. Add to that a 40$ a month increase on the power bill = a Lot of money

For my 175 gal
Given tank, stand, sump, skimmer, all pumps and power heads, some sand, most of the water. All that for free. Then we bought 400lb live rock 2900$, 3 x 400 watt MH 1200$, and 120lb sand 120$ so that means about 4200$. Add to that a 40$ a month increase on the power bill = a Lot of money

Thats quite a lot of LR for a 175g. Any pictures?

I think she means about $2 a day total consider'n the salt for weekly water change, The ro water for changes and whatever you'r do'n, Electricity to run lights and equipment, food for the livestock. So After all is said and done with the tank you're look'n at $60 a month to maintain it. Sounds about right to me if all that was included but it could cost a little more or a little less depend'n on where you are live'n.

Back
Top Bottom