Sand color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J19Reynolds

Aquarium Advice FINatic
image-4060811197.jpg

Is this normal? All I have in my tank is 2 clowns and 2 peppermint shrimp.. Are the shrimp not cleaning good? My readings are all 0...

Hi I used to get that myself now & then, what i did was get a sand sifting starfish. If you've got a decent size tank I would get to smallish ones. I don't see anymore in my tank.

What's it from? I only have a 55g... I didn't get it til after I put a Lil sea weed in there for my shrimp to nibble on.. I'll check out that starfish thanks :)

I'm not sure how it happens I'm no expert I've be doing this for almost 1 year. A good friend of mine recommended them to me. He's been doing this for almost 20 years & I forgot to ask him how it gets there lol. These starfish will clean your sand great. They also bury themselves in your sand so it's not just the surface they clean.

Ok awesome thanks I'll get one as soon as I get more extra money ... Do u order offline anywhere?

When I bought my 2 around 6 months ago they were around £15 each (I live in the uk). I don't buy online as my good friend owns his own business (rockncritters). I put that in just in case you wanted to have nose lol

Is it red or brown? Looks like either diatoms or red slime, I think it is a diatoms algae. Unless you have a real big tank I wouldn't get a sand star. It will eat a live same bed clean in a tank smaller than a ninety. It will at one point run out of food

Columbus Reef Geek said:
Is it red or brown? Looks like either diatoms or red slime, I think it is a diatoms algae. Unless you have a real big tank I wouldn't get a sand star. It will eat a live same bed clean in a tank smaller than a ninety. It will at one point run out of food

It's redish brownish to me lol I have a 55g... What would u suggest other than the starfish then to help

Getting rid of diatoms is easy, just keep up on water changes and it will go away. I would add some black turbo snails or cortez red leg hermits. Maybe ten or so of each. The star fish can get a foot wide. If they do starve at that size and die in the sand bed in a tank that size you could have some issues.

Columbus Reef Geek said:
Getting rid of diatoms is easy, just keep up on water changes and it will go away. I would add some black turbo snails or cortez red leg hermits. Maybe ten or so of each. The star fish can get a foot wide. If they do starve at that size and die in the sand bed in a tank that size you could have some issues.

Ok thanks... I haven't done any water change on my tank yet it's been up and running 3 weeks now I had planned to do it this Friday or Sunday... I'll look into getting some snails or crabs thanks a bunch

Back
Top Bottom