Sand or gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am upgrading to a 55 gallon tank and wondering which I should get sand or gravel. I currently have gravel in my 36 gallon.

Also wondering if it is hard to do both?

Velks, asking about sand or gravel is like asking who's best, democrat or republican. LOL You'll get equal opinions both ways. Both will work very well if you set them up properly. Also if you plant on planted or unplanted. etc. I like both each for their own affect. I found that mixing sand and gravel together really doesn't work as the finer sand will eventually settle below the gravel so all you see is the gravel. Whichever you chose, go for it!
Caudially, OS

Velks, asking about sand or gravel is like asking who's best, democrat or republican. LOL You'll get equal opinions both ways. Both will work very well if you set them up properly. Also if you plant on planted or unplanted. etc. I like both each for their own affect. I found that mixing sand and gravel together really doesn't work as the finer sand will eventually settle below the gravel so all you see is the gravel. Whichever you chose, go for it!
Caudially, OS

Thanks. Decided to just a white gravel so it kind of looks like sand.

Then sand will be cheaper. But if you go to plants later, sand is not a good substrate...it does not hold nutrients well and has none of its own

Then sand will be cheaper. But if you go to plants later, sand is not a good substrate...it does not hold nutrients well and has none of its own

Um, all my planted tanks have Sand. I use root caps. My plants grow great :)

One tank has Flourite Sand with a decent CEC and after 4 months I started supplementing with DIY Root Caps for my Crypts.

I find the fish prefer sand also. My loach rubs himself oni it.

True folks, but sand alone has a lot to be desired. Sand has to be supplemented with nutrition like root tabs, clay, minerals, and so on. I have a sand bottom with a gravel cap. The sand is a good anchor for plant roots and it also holds onto root tabs etc well. The gravel keeps the slit down.

I have plants and a sand substrate... My plants are doing great. Just use root tabs or liquid ferts and your good to go.

But on to the OP's question, it's your choice when it could down to it. I have a 55g and I was lucky and had enough rocks/gravel to do it with. Just knowing the amount you need I would go with sand for the price reason alone, I can't imagine how much gravel would cost! you can go to a Home Depot or Lowe's and buy silica play sand for cheap, I got mine in the middle of winter so I'm sure it was cheaper than it would be now it's getting warmer weather, but play sand is cheap. On the expensive end you wouldn't pay more than $10 for 50lbs, when I bought mine I only paid $3 and some odd change for a 50lbs bag and I still have a lot left over.

Back
Top Bottom