Sand & Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting a 36" 65 US gallon tank. In another post people have certainly convinced me to go with sand.

My question is ...what sand should be used for running a tank at ~Ph 6.5? I was thinking silica sand and perhaps many of the others would tend to want to increase the Ph > 7.

Thanks

What are you stocking that requires such an acidic PH?

The main reason for a Ph on the lower side is to keep discus. But most of the Tetras I would like to add also like lower Ph levels. I have controlled a slightly acid Ph with sphagnum moss in the canister filter before. I just don't want to fight it tooth and nail if I have an element such as the sand trying to tip it back to basic.

I was reading on the net that pool sand is likely to be inert as it will be filtering water for 'people.' So if it's safe for me I'm sure it would be safe for fish. But does it tend to raise Ph levels?

Others on the forum have convinced me of the utility of sand and I'm looking forward to starting up that way.

Sand & Ph

I am using quartz pool sand and it has not raised the PH. I am also going to be adding garnet sand that is also supposed to be inert.

They are both very clean. Utility sand is pretty dirty and made up of who knows what minerals.

Pay a few more bucks and be certain. Pool sand is not that expensive.

Last edited:
The main reason for a Ph on the lower side is to keep discus. But most of the Tetras I would like to add also like lower Ph levels. I have controlled a slightly acid Ph with sphagnum moss in the canister filter before. I just don't want to fight it tooth and nail if I have an element such as the sand trying to tip it back to basic.

I was reading on the net that pool sand is likely to be inert as it will be filtering water for 'people.' So if it's safe for me I'm sure it would be safe for fish. But does it tend to raise Ph levels?

Others on the forum have convinced me of the utility of sand and I'm looking forward to starting up that way.
Do you plan on adding Co2? (gas not excell)

No I wasn't planning Co2 at start up as I will only have young plants. I'm planning for a spring completion after a fishless cycle. And this is a bad time of year to buy plants.

But I do understand that Co2 will assist in lower Ph levels. Okay one more step along the way.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom