Sand Siphon Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinylmation

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 75 Gallon tank with Pool Filter Sand. My issue when I Siphon, I feel it doesn't create a powerful enough suction. I'm using the Python Pro Clean Extra Large. I clearly have visible poop on top of the sand and the Siphoning barely picks up the poop. Not sure if the tube is too big but feel its not doing a great job cleaning. Its weird because it doesn't clean that well but it fills the 5 gallon buckets fairly quickly. Any suggestions? Is the water faucet siphon system better? Creates more suction?

If you don't have pretty strong water pressure it won't suction very well. I have poor pressure and to compensate I cut the hose down to probably 8 feet. It helped a lot, but I know this isn't an option for everyone, my tank was just close.

Ok scratch that, thought you was talking about the one that hooked to the faucet.

It could be the level that you have the bucket at?

So the resolution to my problem was siphoning without the actual tube. I removed the large Siphon tube and siphoned with the Vinyl tubing and that created a much stronger suction. The bottom of my tank is now spotless. The only downfall is that I do lose a little sand in the process. However at $5 for a 50 lb bag of PFS I can careless.

Hope this helps anyone having the same problem.

So the resolution to my problem was siphoning without the actual tube. I removed the large Siphon tube and siphoned with the Vinyl tubing and that created a much stronger suction. The bottom of my tank is now spotless. The only downfall is that I do lose a little sand in the process. However at $5 for a 50 lb bag of PFS I can careless. Hope this helps anyone having the same problem.

Glad you figured it out!!! Yea PFS is pretty cheap, I don't worry about it too much, especially now that I'm slowly starting to switch my substrate.

Back
Top Bottom