Sand substrate dirty looking water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MossyOakMama

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had driftwood in aquarium. It kept water dirty looking. I removed it,done water change. My water still looks dirty. Aquarium has 2 plecos, 1 blood parrot , and numerous dang snails. The snails has got to go along with the dirty water. Two filters for it also. Help! Please!!
Dirty water and snails I need GONE!!

What is your filter? That is the most important thing to keep your water clean.
Do you vacuum your substrate?
What kind of snails?

Some say pond snails. Their small and annoying.
I have 2 filters hanging on the back. Both have 2 filters in each one. I clean by vacuuming waste off of sand.
This is no new set up. I used pool sand.
I rinsed it till water ran clear and then rinsed it some more.
My other aquarium has rocks in it. It's clear.
Bout ready to put some rocks in aquarium and completely cover sand or take the sand completely out.

I had a piece of driftwood in there took it out due to tannis. That has been over 6 months ago.

Hmm I am baffled then! Sounds like you are no newbie!
What color is the dirty water?
Have you ever tried Purigen in your filter? It has a rep for making the water crystal clear. I use it myself and like it.

I have driftwood and pool filter sand and my tanks are crystal clear. One gets some tannins before water changes from some newer driftwood but I dont mind and its good for the fish.

For the snails manual removal helps and make sure you dont overfeed. You can get some assassin snails or a couple of snail eating loaches.

What brands are your filters? This will help to know the amount of water turnover. You may consider adding a few powerheads.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Driftwood can give of tannins for a very long time. It is bad for the fish, just dosent look good to some people. You can try boiling the wood, then dump i. And boil with fresh water again and agin until it's clear. Also, for the snails, what size tank is it?

75 I think on the size. My plecos 14 & 16 inches long. Thought about getting rid of them. But lfs gives nothing for them even when trading for fish r supplies.
Blood parrot is bout 5-6 inches.
Thanks everyone.
Where could I purchase a nice piece of dw? I live on MS.

The sand isnt an issue. Your filtration isnt nearly adequate for a tank that size and definitely not for a couple of plecos with as much waste as they produce. They aren't turning over enough gallons per hour to adequately polish the water.

I would say its fine if you want to keep those fish you just need better filtration. Adding a couple of powerheads to move the water will probably help as well.

V = L x W x D x 0.00433

I used this formula to get the exact gallons of my sand bottom aquarium.
This is the total I come up with- 81.219975
Rectangle aquarium 80 gallon.
Tell me a filter system u would use to keep water pretty and clear.
I looked at this one-
Marineland Magnum 350 Pro System

Plecos are pooping machines and will definitely contribute to your sand looking dirty, especially because waste sits on top of sand instead of sinking into it like it would with gravel. I have this problem in my much smaller tank with only a single 5" BN pleco.

Your gonna need at least two filters. IMO nothing beats the polishing power of the aquaclears when it comes to hang on back filters... and an AC 110 would be a good start. I would also consider getting a canister filter but for the time being an aquaclear 110 along with one of those other filters (whichever turns over the most GPH) should probably work. Ive heard good things about the fluval hang on back filters as well.

I run an aquaclear 50 and a fluval 306 canister filter on my 55 gallon and I still feel like its not enough. Im going to get a second canister filter at some point.

Back
Top Bottom