Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilmo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to put substrate in my tank instead of gravel I want to use sand. And was wondering:
1. Wats the benefits?
2. Will the water be cloudy for a bit?
3. Wat do you think looks better?

Cheers.

I want to put substrate in my tank instead of gravel I want to use sand. And was wondering:
1. Wats the benefits?
2. Will the water be cloudy for a bit?
3. Wat do you think looks better?

Cheers.

I'm really liking the PFS in my tank and find that it looks better, gets cleaned up better by the cuc and during PWC, there's no extra effort. One other benefit is, it's only $10 for 50lbs.

I rinsed mine using an old pillowcase filled about a 1/3 of the way with PFS, put it in the shower and just kinda massaged the sand around in the pillowcase (lots of fine dust washed out). I didn't wash it for very long so i got a mild dust up that cleared in a couple hours with the filter running (8g tank).

it depends on the type of sand you use. PFS is able to be vacuumed just like gravel. ours didn't really cloud up. we cleaned ours in a 5g bucket, let the water run over it for a while and swirled it around until the water ran clear. i wouldn't recommend using a pillowcase, because if there is any detergent or fabric softener residue there is always a chance of carrying some over to the tank. just my thoughts.

i like the look of sand better.

Mr. Limpet said:
I'm really liking the PFS in my tank and find that it looks better, gets cleaned up better by the cuc and during PWC, there's no extra effort. One other benefit is, it's only $10 for 50lbs.

I rinsed mine using an old pillowcase filled about a 1/3 of the way with PFS, put it in the shower and just kinda massaged the sand around in the pillowcase (lots of fine dust washed out). I didn't wash it for very long so i got a mild dust up that cleared in a couple hours with the filter running (8g tank).

Well av just put mines in just now. Am lovin the look of it. My waters cloudy like. But hopefully it will settle lol. Al post picks up wen the water clears. Never thought of using a pillow case.

Well av just put mines in just now. Am lovin the look of it. My waters cloudy like. But hopefully it will settle lol. Al post picks up wen the water clears. Never thought of using a pillow case.

I actually found the suggestion here and it worked good (never thought about detergent, but it was cotton and clean so it'd be minimal at worst). Let me know how it goes without rinsing, I'm thinking of doing that with my GSP build since I don't feel like rinsing 50lbs of sand lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
I actually found the suggestion here and it worked good (never thought about detergent, but it was cotton and clean so it'd be minimal at worst). Let me know how it goes without rinsing, I'm thinking of doing that with my GSP build since I don't feel like rinsing 50lbs of sand lol.

Yeh will do mate. I'm just impatient though lol. Yeh a couldn't be bothered with rinsing 50 lb like lol.

Back
Top Bottom