Science Fair Advice Needed!!!! HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tospace2006

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright so i made a deal with my mom. The deal is if i write up my science fair idea and do all the write up on the coral reef experiment, she will let me start my own coral reef. So i need advices on some science fair ideas. I will be in grade 11 biology next year so i need a subject in that level. I need a project that will easily catch people's attention, a subject that i can easily research on, and a subject that i can write a lot about hahaha.
Advices will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!!!

Maby get some different corals and see the differences of coloration between the lighting the naturally get at a certain depth.

yup a full year hahaha i know corals take their time to grow so i decided to start early

Different water flows, and how they affect the same coral. Amount of light needed and how they grow differently under different lighting conditions. Change temps a bit to see if the corals react to it.

I would start with explaining the nitrogen cycle and showing test result by using a raw shrimp. From there, go into corals, possibly fragging and trading to help preserve the natural coral reefs. I do also like the idea of different lighting and coral grown/coloration...you could even go into photsynthesis vs spot feeding..

thanks for all the ideas!!
i am hoping for an experiment that won't harm or even put my aquarium in danger by doing the experiment.
But this is one idea i had...
How different salinity affects the nitrogen cycle maybe?? and how it affects things living in it

Make sure to document every step of the way. Photos help a lot in explaining. What size tank are you planning on setting up? The size of your tank is going to dictate what you will be able to do. I suggest at least a 55g tank. The equipment you will need for it vs a smaller tank will be pretty close in price. The 55 will give you more room for error and offer better stocking options down the road.

Go to MASNA - Home and see if you can find a local club in your area. Most of the time MASNA clubs like mine WAMAS (Washington DC Area Marine Aquarium Society) will offer free memberships to students along with help in these kinds of projects. You will get all the benefits of the club and the club members.

wow thanks a lot ziggy953 i live in vancouver and i doubt there is a club for reefing around here but ill give it a shot

They don't seem to have a club in your area....I'm sure there is one somewhere near you though. If you contact them they should be able to point you in the right direction.

I'm not sure if you really want to go into changing salinity without some experience under your belt. That could prove devastating to your tank and your project....

well i was actually thinking about just having a tank without anything living in it and maybe just LR and see how the salinity affects the nitrogen cycle

The way to do any sort of experiment like what you're thinking is to have multiple tanks. You want all variables to be the same except the one thing that you are trying to see the effects of. So for instance you could set up 3 10g tanks with salinities of 1.024, 1.020 and 1.016 and the same poundage of LR in each and track your nutrient levels through the cycle. Each tank would need the same conditions, i.e. temperature, salt type, anything you add to one you add to all.

Changing the salinity over the course of the cycle in one tank won't really tell you much, because different salinities could have different effects on different parts of the cycle, and you won't be able to tell the effects apart.

You could set up a tank with different lighting at the two ends and grow several different types of corals under each type of light. You could use two different types of light with the same color bulbs (i.e. PC vs T5), or the same kind of light with two different color spectra (ie. both PCs but one with 10000K only and one with 10000K/actinics). Light would be the only thing that would be practical to vary within the same tank, really, as temp, salinity and nutrients are going to be the same throughout. You'd want to make sure to place the corals the same distance from both light sources but that would be relatively easy.

Last edited:
I agree, whether it is SW, FW, brackish, I don't think salinity (unless it changes drastically during the cycle) will prove much of anything...the cycle is the cycle..if you go (to make it easy) from SW salinity to none, I imagine it would kill off the beneficial bacteria.
How about how a fish can adapt to a FW environment to a SW environment, through the slow process of acclimation...like a molly..the freshies/brackish folks might be able to help...

what!!!! that's so awesome... im not so sure about this though...
our school is against experimenting on animals and stuff....
and this seems like if something goes a bit wrong it could kill the fish...

Instead of coral as that can be a little more expensive it seems... You could always do the documentation of symbiotic relationships between say a pistol shrimp and goby or a mated pair of gobies and a mated pair of pistol shrimp. I am fairly new to this also so this may or may not be a viable idea. It is a suggestion that I think would be interesting. You can keep a day to day doc. As well as pictures and video of the interactions between the two.

GhostKnife, that is a decent idea, the only issue I can think of is you'll rarely see the pistol......
Symbiosis is a great idea though!

Back
Top Bottom