Sea Star Carnivores or Herbivore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkUmbreon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I heard there is a way to tell if they are carnivorous or not. I've heard that the ones with knobs or bumps tend to be carnivores. Is there any truth to this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is a pretty basic way of telling what will eat corals...but in terms of carnivore and herbivore...understand that when it comes to starfish most of what we keep will eat what is presented to the tank. With that said, there are even starfish in the hobby that are sold that we don't even know what it is that they eat! When it comes to starfish and wanting to get one, you should do some research before the purchase.

Too bad the only starfish I can get have very little information about them. For example there is no way I can get a chocolate chip sea star, but I can get a purple linckia. I know what species of linckia that purple linckia is but if you search up that species, the diet of the species is not well described as it is not widely available in this hobby. Another example is that I had a violet-eyed swimming crab, I searched that guy up and the only thing that comes up is it's habitat, species name and a picture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom