Seachem paraguard and ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruna75

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started treating ich with paraguard. I have panda Cory's so I treated a Lil more than a half a dose to start with. There are also rainbows, platy, 1 German blue ram, 1 Bolivian ram, rummy nose tetra, lemon tetra, cardinal tetra, neon tetra and a black Molly. I am wondering if I should raise the temp up also or if the paraguard and water changes will be enough?

Anyone have any experience with paraguard and heat? I already started raising the temp. How high should I go? I know to do it slowly. Thanks in advance!

Bruna75 said:
Anyone have any experience with paraguard and heat? I already started raising the temp. How high should I go? I know to do it slowly. Thanks in advance!

Most just treat with the heat set at 86F, water changes & vacuuming. Have you just started treating? If using heat only it gets really ugly before improving & it can take 2-3 wks.

I already lost 3 rummy nose tetras they had no visible signs of it but that is the only that makes sense now that the others are showing signs. I started the paraguard this evening and raising the temp slowly. I hope it is safe to do both. If not I will stop raising the heat and stick with the paraguard.

Both is fine. My tank is at 82 and adding salt. Started adding Paraguard . 1 cap to 10 gallons.
Been fighting it for 4 weeks now

Thanks! Hope it clears up soon for you and me both! Since I started raising the heat I am seeing more spots :/

So the treatment has been going well until today:/ I slowly got the temp up to 84 and slowly raised the dose of the paraguard to the full dose and now I have a lemon tetra panting on the bottom:( and I woke up to the water a little bit cloudy. It was crystal clear last night. I have been testing water daily and it has been the same. Ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. Ph 7.8. I would have thought if any fish was gonna show signs of stress from the treatment it would have been the gbr or one of the pandas. I have 2 air stones bubbling and the 2 hob filters so I didn't think I would need another air stone while raising the temp. Could that be the problem? I have another one I can throw in there just have to wait until this afternoon.

Has anyone else had paraguard turn their water cloudy?

Wiggles24 said:
The warmer the water the leas oxygen u probably need an airstone

Thanks for the reply. So another air stone on top of the 2 already in there? Will 3 be enough or should I go buy another one or maybe a giant bubble wand. I don't want to loose anymore fish so thank you for your help ;)

Sorry I didn't entirely read your post. Oxygen really shouldn't be an issue with all those filters.....I don't like ich medicine and when I thunk about it the ones I have seen say to use a half dose with tetras. I haven't used what you are using but I wonder if that's not part of the problem you are having?

Wiggles24 said:
Sorry I didn't entirely read your post. Oxygen really shouldn't be an issue with all those filters.....I don't like ich medicine and when I thunk about it the ones I have seen say to use a half dose with tetras. I haven't used what you are using but I wonder if that's not part of the problem you are having?

Yeah that makes sense because they were fine while I was slowly upping the dose and last night was the first full dose and I woke up this morning to a panting lemon tetra and cloudy water :/ I still don't understand why my wAter is now cloudy. Thank you again for your help;)

Cloudy water could be bacterial bloom. Common with medicine, since medicine can kill off BB.
Be very carfull to not overdose. They will get heavy metal poisoning. Do a water change immediately if signs of distress
- contact seachem directly- I did once
You can even send them pictures
support@seachem.com

bkiggy said:
Cloudy water could be bacterial bloom. Common with medicine, since medicine can kill off BB.
Be very carfull to not overdose. They will get heavy metal poisoning. Do a water change immediately if signs of distress
- contact seachem directly- I did once
You can even send them pictures
support@seachem.com

I thought paraguard was filter safe? But even though that is what the bottle says I have been testing my water daily just to make sure and every thing has been stable. Same numbers as always. Either way I am just going to lower the dose and hope it is still effective:/ thanks for the input;)
Oh and thanks for seachems info ;)

So now a different lemon has a problem. A bulge on the tummy, I don't know what is going on with my fish:/ here is a pic. It is hard to see in it but hopefully someone here can see what I am seeing and can offer some help. Thank you.

Attachments

• image-246271884.jpg
    image-246271884.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 139
  • image-1011449412.jpg
    image-1011449412.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 162
  • image-1715122935.jpg
    image-1715122935.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 123
Back
Top Bottom