Seachem Reef Buffer/Marine Buffer pH 8.3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, do any of you use Secham's Marine Buffer?

I have a Nano Cube, 12 gallon... Reef... 4 small fish. Coral. They are all very happy and I am using a 2 part alkalinity and calcium kit. Try to keep my alkalinity at 3.5 and my calcium at 450.

Anyhow... My pH is 8.0. Sometimes it goes down to 7.8. Depends on the time of day. Every now and then it goes up to 8.2 but doesn't really stick. The aquarium is at least 3 months old and very well established.

Anyhow,,, I've been told that lots of people use Marine Buffer... But I've also heard some scary things about buffers in general. Can anyone please clarify/give me some advice?

And if I do you use it,,, do I continue to use the 2 part alk and calcium as well?

Thanks!
Lloyd

http://seachem.com/products/product_pages/MarineBuffer.html

8.0 is not bad. I keep my ph stable by doing frequent PWC. Should work for you too.

I do a 15% PWC every week. Religiously. I even have a fan going to get air flowing over the top of the aquarium.

the ph will read different at different times of the day. If everything is good then don't use chemicals to try and reach that magic number. take the readings at the same time several days in a row.

Thanks.

I also don't use Kalkwasser... I hear that word being tossed around a lot among aquarasits. I haven't ever touched the stuff.. Is that a good thing as well or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!!

L2 said:
The aquarium is at least 3 months old and very well established.
Tanks are just starting to fully stabilize at 3+ months when it comes to ph IME. As everyone else has said 8.0 or really anything within the 7.8-8.4 range is fine as long as it’s fairly stable.

I do use that buffer on occasion (about once a month) and I will add the recommended dosage to my pwc water and let it mix for 24+ hours along with my salt. I never add it directly to the tank as the rapid ph change can hurt fish/inverts. Main thing is to not excessively buffer the tank.

L2 said:
I try to keep my alkalinity at 3.5 and my calcium at 450.
I’d keep your ca closer to the 380-415 ppm range.

The most common things that can lower your ph are a short lighting period, covered tank, or low oxygen exchange.

As seaham358 said your ph will read higher/lower depending on the time of the day. (lowest in the morning before turning on the lights, highest at night before turning off the lights).

Kalkwasser is essentially just ca used in a drip method most commonly added to top off water if you have a sump to add ca to your tank and keep it at a constant level.

Depending on the type of corals you keep it may be a better option then having it fluctuate when you add it with the method you are using now. It also helps to keep your ph at a high steady level of 8.3-8.4. This article is more in-depth.

Back
Top Bottom