Second Hand Filter system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott F

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'll be setting up a 29 gal in a couple of weeks but I have a used Rena that I'm going to incorporate into it.

Wondering...Other than completely changing the input / output lines how should I go about cleaning it ?

It's been dry now for at least a month. I was thinking a water / vinegar solution and a tooth brush ,OR putting all of the parts in the dishwasher with some vinegar and letting modern technology do the work.

Why are you wanting to was it with vinegar?
Is it because it's really dirty with calcium/lime deposits or are you just wanting to sterilize the filter?

I would stay away from the Dishwasher....

Dilute the vinegar 10% rest with water. (use White Vinegar)

Did the Filter go through any meds due to a disease or something like that?

Typically I just rinse really well with Tank water or Water treated with Prime at most.

I would stay away from the Dishwasher....

Dilute the vinegar 10% rest with water. (use White Vinegar)

Did the Filter go through any meds due to a disease or something like that?

Typically I just rinse really well with Tank water or Water treated with Prime at most.

I'm not aware that it went through any meds prior to getting it. It's all very dry right now and I thought it best to clean it all up before using it in a new tank setting.

Agree with pton46 but I really don't think you have anything to worry about. I guess better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom