Second Nature Whisper Power Filter not pumping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmack.may

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, so i set up my first aquarium today, and i put together the filter, watched countless videos on how to set up DIFFERENT filters (since i cant find info on this brand ANYWHERE), and it appears i've set it up correctly, the impeller spins, the motor runs, however, when i put it in the water, it doesn't pump. No water comes up the tube whatsoever, and when i take the tube off, the impeller doesnt even visually circulate (bubble) the water at all. Is my motor shot? This is my aunt's from when she was my age... 20 years ago. She's used it since then, but i'm not sure how long ago. I've poured water in the back for hours, let it run, poured water in, let it run, and still nothing. :banghead:

Attachments

• photo 1 (30).JPG
    photo 1 (30).JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 103
  • photo 2 (28).JPG
    photo 2 (28).JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 109
  • photo 3 (26).JPG
    photo 3 (26).JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 114
  • photo 5 (27).JPG
    photo 5 (27).JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 101
Being that old its hard to say, and since you can't find info on it then replacement parts may be out of the equation.

Can you hear the motor spinning? You should be able to.

Check that the impeller is free and inserted all the way into the motor housing. Check for cracks or stress on the siphon tube or a bad seal if its a two piece tube.

If you still can't get it going many filters can be purchased for $25.

I remember using those in the 80s. Very almost retro.
How much water are you pouring into it? Is it more than in the last pic? The impeller area needs to be under the water level in order to effectively pull air/water through the intake tube. Also, the knob for the flow adjuster appears to be broken/missing. Not sure if it will be a problem aside from flow control unless it allows air to leak into the intake.
I had another brand of HOB filter where the impeller would vibrate but not rotate. I could not salvage it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom