seeding a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TaiN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. Big time lurker here. How long would you say you need to leave a new filter in a cycled tank to become cycled. I need to use it to help seed a new setup now just beginning its first cycle (fishless).

Many thanks for all the great information.

Hi , welcome to the AA... I hope you enjoy this forum. I do but it is AAdictive for sure. You are so lucky to have the option of running a new filter on an established tank. I wish I had an answer for you. Is this your tank or a friends? I would think about a week or so. But someone with more experience will chime on soon. I have approached my LFS about having a fishless tank running in their shop independent of the central filtration system. That way there would be less chance of disease. They could make money cycling new filters for customers. I will be following and I am glad you started this thread.

The cycled tank is mine. Its a 10 gallon that has been in operation for around 3 years now. 6 fish live there and as of right now all tests are showing a perfect reading. I wanted a bigger tank and started a 29 gallon a week ago. Then I found AA. Completely opened my eyes to more information about cycling.

I already have some gravel from the 10 gallon in my 29 gallon hanging from the top of the tank in a net. I went out and got a whisper filter last week and stuck it in the 10 gallon. Its going in the 29 as a second filter as soon as its ready.

Oh and I do very much enjoy the forum. I just usally lurk but something got me to come out. All I saw here was really nice people with great information.

Cheers

So I have put my cycled filter in my 29 gallon tank. Currently 29 gallon reads
ammonia at 3.0
Nitrite at 0 (because none exist)
Nitrate showing a slight at 10

Sorry lfs was out of the api test kit so I had no choice to get strips. Kit on order.

Are these good conditions to insert a cycled job filter into? Should I do any more pwc's at this point? Temp at 76 with a uncycled new aqua clear 50 hob filter in there to.

Any general suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

TaiN said:
So I have put my cycled filter in my 29 gallon tank. Currently 29 gallon reads
ammonia at 3.0
Nitrite at 0 (because none exist)
Nitrate showing a slight at 10

Sorry lfs was out of the api test kit so I had no choice to get strips. Kit on order.

Are these good conditions to insert a cycled job filter into? Should I do any more pwc's at this point? Temp at 76 with a uncycled new aqua clear 50 hob filter in there to.

Any general suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Looks like you're there and keep an eye on the ammo, if it drops before you get fish in, the bacteria will starve. I pre-seeded some bio media (1 week) in my DT and after 24hrs in the new tank it was ready for fish.

Nice to have that option isn't it :).

I had no idea how much of a difference it makes when doing a first cycle. No draw backs at all opposed to a normal cycle?

TaiN said:
I had no idea how much of a difference it makes when doing a first cycle. No draw backs at all opposed to a normal cycle?

It's quicker, no chems like raw ammo to worry about when you're ready for fish and not waiting weeks for cycling is the biggie for me. I also used 25% water from a PWC in my DT added in (not vacuumed) just to have some cured water in the mix. Not even sure I needed to wait 24hrs, I just chose too.

I've done instant cycling for my QT using my spare filter/PWC water and it worked perfectly.

Let me make sure I've got this right. Your scenario is:

- A new 29g with 3ppm ammonia in the water for a fishless cycle
- A Whisper filter you've seeded for a week on an established tank
- A new AC50

If that's the case, you're off to a good start. You don't need to do anything but keep an eye on your ammonia levels. I'm not sure seeding a filter for a week will do much, but it can only help. Gravel from the cycled tank will help, filter media from the cycled tank would help more. I keep extra bags of biomedia in my filters to help seed new tanks. I've cycled a 40B in a week when seeding with the biomedia.

Water from a cycled tank won't do much. The beneficial bacteria live on surfaces in the tank. There are few if any in the water column.

This morning the ammonia was still at 3 and nothing else has changed. No Nitrite reading at all. Should I do something different at this point?

Gravel was added yesterday. I guess I should just watch for ammonia to drop on its own or is it to high?

I don't want to stall the cycle.

You gotta be patient. I didn't see nitrites till day 10. Heat and air helps.

Thanks? Just questions I had on my mind. Tell you what. Ill just go back to lurking.

Thanks all for info.

Back
Top Bottom