Separating baby swords from runners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hjsvt

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have tried to find the best way to do this by watching some videos and reading. But it seems pretty split between remove the babies and leave the runners or cut the runners and plant what is left of the runner with the baby. I did have one baby fall off while cleaning and I just planted it and it's doing fine. Nothing has grown back where it came off of the runner expect for green hair algae. Most of the babies all have their own roots. So I'm feeling like the best thing to do is cut back the entire runner. I have 5 runners, all with multiple babies. I would like to thin them out and maybe plant them in an experimental dirted 10 gallon to "grow up". They are starting to shade the plants below them. Anyone removed babies from the mother plant before and how did you do it? Will the mother plant eventually send up new runners? Thanks for the help!

Yes the mother will send new runners eventually. Once you cut the stem it's done sending runners on that stem. So if you are trying to maximize plants you'd want to leave it as long as possible. Another alternative is to lay the runner along the substrate still attached to the mother plant. Ive had success with this in emergent setups, haven't tried in a tank.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom