Setting up new tank- equip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All
I'm looking to setup a fw 30 gal and was wondering what sort of equip I needed
I'm use to saltwater ie sump, refugium, live rock, ect.
Is there similar needs for fw or ?

I assume you cycle the tank also?

Thanks
Kevin Baker

A minimal freshwater tank should consist of
tank,
Light,
heater,
Decent filter,
substrate (gravel sand ect)
Decorations.

But i would also recommend real plants, drift woods and rocks and sub decent substrate like eco complete, fert and maybe some co2. Sumps can be used on freshwater but for some reason many dont.

Did you say in you OP your used to saltwater?

Thanks

Yes I'm very familiar with saltwater just getting ready for a sep freshwater tank

:)

Thanks appreciate the help

Trying to get my ducks in a row
Kevin Baker

Heating will be dependent on what fish you choose to keep and the ambient temp in the room. Having a very hot apartment, I don't have any heaters. Fans run nearly all year, as I have no heat control and it's mostly too dang hot.

But if the room is cool or you want species that are not cool water species heat is necessary of course.

Many use simple HOB filters, rather than canisters, though it's partly a matter of personal preference, cost, and how much maintenance you want to do. HOBS are easy to clean, and if you get an Aqua Clear, you can use any media you choose. They are very versatile and easy to get parts for, as well as being extremely reliable.

Plants can be either low or high maintenance. Low maintenance, low lighting, little effort needed,as they won't grow so fast. High maintenance, high to very high light levels, so more costly fixtures. Usually CO2 supplementation too, either via compressed gas with a regulator and needle valve, or DIY sugar/yeast bottles. Plus a drop checker, maybe a bubble counter and diffuser. Ferts are needed for most regardless of level, and you can use Excel or other brand of glutaraldehyde to add a carbon source instead of CO2. Often called liquid CO2, but it is not. Just a source of usable carbon that's better than none at all. Plants must have carbon, and water has virtually no carbon at all. Some must be supplied if plants are to do well in most cases, excepting the very lowest of low tech setups.

Most crown plants want fert tabs, as they are heavy substrate feeders. Swords, crypts, for example. The rest you use either liquids already mixed, which cost more, or buy your own basic elements and make your own mix, much cheaper in the long run. Several methods for dosing ferts are around. EI, estimative index, check Tom Barr's site. PPPro is another method. Planted Tank forum has a load of info on plants and growing them.

And you can use a sump if you want to. Most freshies don't, but you can. Same benefits, you can hide the equipment in the sump, leaving the tank to shine without much in the way of tubes showing. Can also use it to keep a few shrimp if you like, even feeder shrimp for bigger fish.

I recommend the digital Cobalt heaters and Aquaclear filters or an Eheim canister filter. Good Luck and welcome to the fresh-side!

What kind of fish are you planning to get? That will help us recommend plants and substrate.

We have an angel , loach? and a dinosaur bichir

Thks

Back
Top Bottom