Setting up tank to start fishless cycling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justme68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I'm just putting in my substrate and adding the water then I'll dechlorinate and add ammonia. Will it be OK to get this part started and add the decor in a week or so? Thanks!

You can add in decor at any point, in theory the more decor/material you have the faster the bacteria can colonize as it has more surfaces to grow from although the majority will reside in your filter media. If you have any seeding material that will expedite the process.

Good luck and just remember the hardest part of the fishless cycle is waiting to add fish.

Thanks so much Red! I'll be adding next week so that should be OK then. Unfortunately I don't know anyone else with an aquarium so I probably won't have seeded material...oh well. You're right, already I cant wait to add my fish friends!

I got an extra extension tube for the filter intake if necessary. Not sure if I should use it or not....how far into the tank should this go?

May not be necessary but it depends on how deep your tank is. You dont want the intake right above the bottom sucking up your gravel or sand. I keep mine about 1/2way from the bottom. See what works for you & keep us posted on cycling your new tank! :)

Thanks jlk...mine isn't quite halfway so maybe I'll use the extension. Gonna start dosing ammonia in the morning :)

Back
Top Bottom