Sexing bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smudger

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have 2 (what was supposed to both be female) bettas. However as theyve grown and lived I've noticed differences, ie. 'Shadow' has bigger ventrals, flares a lot more and is the only one to flare gills. 'Ruby' has a definate egg spot and a squarer anal fin compared although at bit torn at the moment :( photos to show...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1397583133777.jpg
    1397583133777.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 76
  • 1397583151351.jpg
    1397583151351.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 1397583160786.jpg
    1397583160786.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 1397583184763.jpg
    1397583184763.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 90
Another pic sorry theyre not the best quality

Attachments

• 1397583254704.jpg
    1397583254704.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 84
They can both be females. Flaring is a dominance thing in female bettas. The only 100% for sure way to reliably sex a betta is if it blows a bubble nest :)

On the dominance note, 2 female bettas generally don't go well together. One is dominant and will pick on the other a lot resulting in its demise as you are seeing now. They really need to be kept together in groups of 5+ if you want long term success and even then you need a 30g or larger tank.

They can both be females. Flaring is a dominance thing in female bettas. The only 100% for sure way to reliably sex a betta is if it blows a bubble nest :)

On the dominance note, 2 female bettas generally don't go well together. One is dominant and will pick on the other a lot resulting in its demise as you are seeing now. They really need to be kept together in groups of 5+ if you want long term success and even then you need a 30g or larger tank.

+1 they definitely look like females. I have lost count on how many females I have and that is normal display.

Well I have too much current in my tank for a bubble nest to survive, however I'm pretty sure I noticed some bubbles on the surface in a 'dead spot' but they didn't last long but I wondered if that's what it was...
I've noticed the anal fin is a different shape on them both and saw somewhere that that was a sign, but wanted to ask the pros as the minority of my experiance is theoretical.

Thanks mebbid pretty sure I've had some help of u before if so thanks again but it may be that I've just seen a few of your posts before and used the advice for my own advantage :)

Just thought it may be a plakat but they are around the same size except ruby (red one obv.) has a rounder belly.

Thanks mebbid pretty sure I've had some help of u before if so thanks again but it may be that I've just seen a few of your posts before and used the advice for my own advantage :)

With me having passed the 6000 post mark either of those are likely to have happened :)

You could stick the betta in a vase or similarly sized container with no surface agitation to see if it builds a bubble nest.

Back
Top Bottom