Shell Damage - Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rozmere

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please see attached image. Sorry about the image quality.

My male golden apple snail has shell damage on the front of his shell, it's a crack that is about 1/8 inch wide and runs back from the open edge of his shell about 3/8 inch long and It "appears" to show his flesh through it? Could I be seeing flesh colored shell? Does his flesh (mantle) stick to the inside of the shell at that point? the thickness of the shell along the edge of the crack seems to be no thicker then an index card, or am I just seeing a tear in the outer golden surface of the shell only? How thick should the shell be? If this is a crack that goes down to his flesh is this something that will eventually expose his vital organs as he grows? Do i need to fix this and if so what is the best way? I've seen severl things online but not sure what would be the best when the flesh is possibly exposed. No one in the tank is bothering him btw, they are all pretty peaceful fish.

I love my snails and I'm very worried about him so please reply.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I think he first got this when he fell off the wall and hit a rock (the rocks have been either removed or placed in places where snails can't hit them since then, and it has just gotten worse as he has grown. He still moves fine, he still likes to "cuddle" with Ridley (my female) and he seems to eat just fine so i don't "think" he's in any distress at the moment.

qyny.jpg

Back
Top Bottom