Shrimp Reproducing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, guys... what the heck is this? This shrimp looks like it has a bunch of bubbles, I assume eggs, in it's tummy. It's just hanging out on this rock and it keeps wiggling it's back legs making it's tummy jumble around. Could this be how they lay eggs, or is this one maybe sick or something?

Yep, it's full of eggs. It will release them and your fish and the shrimp will snack on the babies. Normally after a molt, there bellies will be green full of eggs. Then after a few weeks, it turns white. After about another two weeks, it will release the babies. It's really neat and they will continue to breed.

I figured that's what it was. The other shrimp has a green belly now, so I get to watch this again. Ewwww! It's kind of yucky looking.

Cindy, Nice new pic!

I have a pair also and they are constantly reproducing. But they eat the young.

The other shrimp has a green belly now,
Dad has become a mom lol! The baby shrimp are released into the water column, w/ help from "mom" using a tail fanning motion, shortly after the lights go off for the night. It is really neat to see. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom