Sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ItsInTents

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

My betta fish hasn't been doing well for the past couple of weeks. It all started out with him being very lethargic and dwelling on the bottom of the tank by laying on his side. He used to be very energetic and he used to love to sleep on top of the heater near the surface of the water. Now he barely moves, mostly just to come up for food. I've had him for a year and 3 months so far. Recently, he also developed a swollen belly. I change the water regularly and check my parameters often but for some reason some of his fins have also deteriorated and they don't seem to want to grow back.

He is only kept in a 2.5 gallon tank, but it is cycled with 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites, 5 ppm nitrates. The temperature is 78.1 degrees F. The last time I performed a water change was today.

He is the only fish in the tank and the only thing that I changed recently was about a month and a half ago I did add a small amount of crushed coral because my water is extremely soft. Before adding it, the KH and GH were both 0, and now the KH is 2 and the GH is 3.

Like I said, I have had this fish for well over a year. I've never had a problem, until now and I don't know what's going on. Please help provide me if you can.

If your fish (you've had well over a year) is now acting different and you added something to the tank I would take it out. Some fish (like Betta's) adjust to waters. If the water has been soft for a yr and everything was fine. Don't change anything. They are sensitive to some changes. If water is testing different that a yr ago. I'd try to get it back to the way it was. Same thing with heat for a Betta. If the tank is at 78.1 I wouldn't change that. If they heat was ever up and down that will do it too. Heat should stay steady same temp. Could also be age too. I don't know how old it is. But they usually live, thing, 5 yrs. At the most. Can't remember exactly.

If your Betta is still eating, but is lethargic, bloated, hanging near the bottom, stop feeding for 4 or 5 days and monitor his behavior. As for water hardness, Bettas in the wild live in less than stable, pristine water conditions. The slightly elevated water hardness likely not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom