Sick gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffruth

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Blue Dwarf Gourami who is hanging out at the top of my tank. He floats there and then he flips sideways. Been doing this for a few days now. I have another dwarf gourami aswell. Both males, 20g tank. Is my blue guy sick or maybe stressed. Water parameters are all fine. Help please.

Does he look bloated? Sounds like swim bladder. Try and get him to eat a few small peices of boiled, shelled pea.

What are you feeding the gourami? Can you post a pic of it? Can you isolate it in a hospital tank? Can you go get some frozen peas tomorrow?

If it is that, how does one prevent it in the future?

Swim bladder disorder can be caused by impaction in the abdomen, many times by food, but sometimes by infection. Some aquarium vets think that by feeding your fish peas, this somehow breaks up the impaction and clears them up. No one is 100% sure why this helps.

You should stop feeding him during treatment if you can because this can make it worse. Swim bladder is often caused by feeding fish too much dried food at one time. When the fish overeats, the dry food moistens and swells in their stomach, causing problems like this. Check to see how much you are feeding them at mealtimes.

Swim bladder disorder can be caused by impaction in the abdomen, many times by food, but sometimes by infection. Some aquarium vets think that by feeding your fish peas, this somehow breaks up the impaction and clears them up. No one is 100% sure why this helps.

You should stop feeding him during treatment if you can because this can make it worse. Swim bladder is often caused by feeding fish too much dried food at one time. When the fish overeats, the dry food moistens and swells in their stomach, causing problems like this. Check to see how much you are feeding them at mealtimes.

+1

This is why I ask if it's possible for you to isolate the gourami. I find it less stressful for any fish to try and recover from sickness if not in a tank full of hungry fish.

I feed the tank a pinch of flakes daily. Every so often I give bloodworms and an algae flake. They eat it quickly.

Doen't sound like a problem. Foods like dried bloodworms or dried shrimp would be more likely to bother him I think. Some species like gourami and betta are just more prone to getting swim bladder.

Back
Top Bottom