Sick Kribensis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
My female Krib has a white area covering her nose and a white area on her side near her fins. She is hiding. But eating ok. All other fish in tank seem fine. No areas on any of them.

It's not white dots(Ich) it's the whole top of her nose.

The tank is a new 29. Cycled for over a month. Parameters checked today. PH 7.8, ammonia 0, trItes 0, trAtes 20, temp 77.

Not sure what to treat for. Don't have a QT, but guess I could get one at Petco tomorrow. But at this point, if it's contagious, they have all been exposed.

There are 5 rosy barbs, a male Krib and a Brushnose Pleco. Tank is planted, but sparsely, if that makes a difference. Oh and I saw a snail.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My female Krib has a white area covering her nose and a white area on her side near her fins. She is hiding. But eating ok. All other fish in tank seem fine. No areas on any of them.

It's not white dots(Ich) it's the whole top of her nose.

The tank is a new 29. Cycled for over a month. Parameters checked today. PH 7.8, ammonia 0, trItes 0, trAtes 20, temp 77.

Not sure what to treat for. Don't have a QT, but guess I could get one at Petco tomorrow. But at this point, if it's contagious, they have all been exposed.

There are 5 rosy barbs, a male Krib and a Brushnose Pleco. Tank is planted, but sparsely, if that makes a difference. Oh and I saw a snail.

Thanks.

Near her top fins or side fins?

Has temp fluctuated at all recently? Can you post a pic?

As you have probably guessed, it sounds fungal or bacterial (or both).

It's on her flank, near her tail fins. I don't think I have had a temp fluctuation, but I guess it's possible. I will check it a few times a day. The heater could be doing weird things.

Should I treat the tank? Or just do a big water change every few days to keep the conditions pristine?

I will post a pic when I get home.

It's on her flank, near her tail fins. I don't think I have had a temp fluctuation, but I guess it's possible. I will check it a few times a day. The heater could be doing weird things.

Should I treat the tank? Or just do a big water change every few days to keep the conditions pristine?

I will post a pic when I get home.

It would be more likely to be a water change that shifted temp. Is that possible? I've had fish that picked up fungal infections after a water change. The water change was of colder water and this caused the tank temp to bounce down then back up as the heaters fixed. Just trying to check the cause/when it started. Was there any change made to the tank just before it appeared?

Ideally you want to put in QT. It's basically removing that fish before it can infect others (like a hospital for infectious diseases). It's also cheaper on meds and you aren't bombing your DT with meds. A pic would be great.

If you try water changes only than it should be daily pwc's. I'd want to see improvement in several days otherwise onto meds. Generally this is also easier in a smaller tank. On my QT I just pinch filter media from the DT so instantly cycled.

At the same time, I'd look into getting a med that treats fungal/bacterial infections. If the infection is large or spreading I'd go for meds ASAP.

Ok. The tank was doing well, so I put it on my once weekly WC rotation. So it had not had one in 5 days when I noticed her.

I did 50% today and added Pimafix, just in case. I will check her tomorrow and pick up a QT at Petco tomorrow.

Should I do WC once I move her out? Even if the other fish are ok? Parameters are fine in the tank.

Thank you for your help. I have tried to get a pic, but she puts herself in the most awkward places and I can't get a clean shot.

A newly setup QT at this point is only going to put the fish in extreme stress and ensure death. Best to treat in the tank once you know what it is. Pics are needed. Also try and recall any changes in condition. What behaviors.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A newly setup QT at this point is only going to put the fish in extreme stress and ensure death. Best to treat in the tank once you know what it is. Pics are needed. Also try and recall any changes in condition. What behaviors.

Out of interest why would it cause extreme stress and death?

Wouldn't be cycled, wwoukdbt be established, would have to transfer and acclimate, won't be as good as the main display tank.

Wouldn't be cycled, wwoukdbt be established, would have to transfer and acclimate, won't be as good as the main display tank.

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps it depends on tank size as I have a 4ft planted tank which gets expensive to dose and if the fish dies I'm racing to get it out before other fish have a go at it. For myself the QT is quieter with slower water flow but I take your point on schooling fish with regards to stress.

Normally I pinch media and water straight from the DT so the stress is minor and filter is cycled (plus prime dosing).

I will light dose pima and mela in the DT if fish looks off but after that (within 2 days), I look at the possible damage to nitrifying bacteria / plants from meds plus the risk of the fish passing on the infection as too great and go for QT. Specially if I think it is a bacterial infection.

Ok. The tank was doing well, so I put it on my once weekly WC rotation. So it had not had one in 5 days when I noticed her.

I did 50% today and added Pimafix, just in case. I will check her tomorrow and pick up a QT at Petco tomorrow.

Should I do WC once I move her out? Even if the other fish are ok? Parameters are fine in the tank.

Thank you for your help. I have tried to get a pic, but she puts herself in the most awkward places and I can't get a clean shot.

So the discussion above has outlined some pros and cons of doing / not doing a QT or hospital tank.

I'd set up the QT with same water from DT to start with. This leads into a water change on DT which just freshens the water and dilutes anything in the water.

If you do get a QT, then it may be possible to get a good photo then.

Thank you so much for your help. As it turns out, life got crazy and I never got to get a QT.

But, she is looking better. Actually swimming around and not "hiding" and the white areas are significantly smaller. Her colors are better as well. Gonna give her a few more days.

Still nothing similar on any other fish.

But a QT tank is in my future. Better to actually have one and not use it, then to have to get one and not have time. LOL

Back
Top Bottom