Sick Mickeymouse Platyies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pradeepcec

Aquarium Advice Activist
Why are my micky mouse platies dull? Their fins are clamped and they are sitting on the floor of the tank :(

Water parameters all good,
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 10~20
pH - 7.6
Temperature - 77 - 79

All other fishes seem to be doing good except these two. What can i do?

Got any pictures? Are they eating? Any white, stringy poo? Hmmmm.... Your water parameters look great, so I don't think that could be it. Any other fish bullying them?

Got any pictures? Are they eating? Any white, stringy poo? Hmmmm.... Your water parameters look great, so I don't think that could be it. Any other fish bullying them?

At present I do not have any pics, will upload once I am back home.

So the two platies that I am saying are sick have different behaviour,

Platy-1: Have clamped fins, but very active, feeding on flakes as well as sinking shrimp pellets that I feed for the pandas. Once in a while floats at the top or sits at the bottom. One of the fin seems like torn off

Platy-2: Fin, body shape looks good but she is either sitting on the bottom or floating at the top gasping for air most of the time. No signs of physical damage

I haven't seen any bullying, day time, not sure during night.
The other tank mates I have is, x-ray tetras, honey gaurami's, panda cory, netrite, lots of pond snails and live plants.

I never had a success with platys till now, not sure if it is because of the in-breeding or I am doing something wrong :(

IMG_8425.jpg

Here is the photo of the platy. I dont know if Gaurami was the reason for the platy to be sick. But now that it is sick I saw the gauramies nipping at the sick platies fins and tails :( unfortunately I do not have any extra tank where I can keep the platy :( not sure what to do

I have one platy that really just doesn't like one of my tanks. The water parameters are similar to yours, and they're similar between tanks (my nitrate fluctuates a bit-my bigger tank has more plants), and every time I've tried putting her into the bigger tank she clamps and sits on the bottom. I've given up moving her.

The one getting bullied isn't going to do well long-term, IMO. If you can get her into another tank where she can recover that might be the best. Do you have an airstone in the tank? If they're piping they may need a bit more oxygen.

Hope you get this situation straightened out, but for what it's worth I have had honey gourami and platies for 2 yrs and never had any aggression. Honey gourami are generally very peaceful for a gourami.

That doesn't mean it's not possible, just passing on my experience.

I never had success with platies till now, but this time I was quite optimistic as I did a full fishless cycling and the tried to provide the best I could do.. but it did not help :(

So sorry she passed! :( For what it's worth - I've never had luck with platys either. They'll be okay for a while and then started dying off one by one. I finally stopped buying them.

Back
Top Bottom