Sickly betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coz

Aquarium Advice Regular
My daughter's betta wont eat and barely moves. I noticed some white spots on the gills but not sure if they have always been there or not. If you zoom in you can see them a little

Attachments

• image-3207129787.jpg
    image-3207129787.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 69
I can't really tell in the picture but I can just about tell you that you have ich. They sell treatment for it at all pet stores and most Wall marts. Here is a really good link that tells all about ich and how it works. It will help you get rid of it. It mainly tells about treating ich with heat alone but I usually use meds and heat. Heat makes the life cycle speed up. This sounds like a counter productive way to treat it, but there is only one stage of ich where it can be killed. Turning up the heat helps it get to that stage quicker.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Fish died. Makes me mad my daughter didnt do something sooner. She is gone for a week and I was supposed to take care.

What should I do now? The tank has no fish and it never cycled. Should I clean with bleach and repace filter?

Take out your filter cartridge . You can throw it away , or some people say boil it and reuse it. I would just throw it away and not risk a re infection. Let the filter run without the cartridge, an treat the tank with whatever meds you get. If you had fish in there most brands recommend water changes during treatment. Depending on the type of meds. I would just let the meds stay in there for about a week then do a %20 water change every few days after that. You can put your filter cartridge in after a week, all of the parasites should be dead. Don't change all the water at once or you may disrupt your nitrogen cycle.

If you want to buy a new fish, other than a beta, be sure to research it. You will want to know if it is aggressive how big it gets and how son dative it is. Betas can pretty much live anywhere. Since they can breath air from the surface.

I hope all of this helps and I hope I was not over informative, but I don't know how much you know about fish keeping. :)
I hope one dead fish doesn't make you give up. I killed almost a whole tank the first time I had ich. I didn't know what I was doing, and the product had bad directions and I over treated. Read that link it really helped me with the ich problem.

Good luck And sorry about your fish.

My daughter will probably want another. I have a 50g mbuna tank myself. I filled her tank with straight hot tap water about 135 deg and 1/4c salt. 3g tank. Let it soak for a couple hours then rinsed and set everything out to dry. The tank hadnt cycled so I didnt care about starting over.

My daughter will probably want another. I have a 50g mbuna tank myself. I filled her tank with straight hot tap water about 135 deg and 1/4c salt. 3g tank. Let it soak for a couple hours then rinsed and set everything out to dry. The tank hadnt cycled so I didnt care about starting over.

I didn't know it was just a 3 gallon. It's easier to just refill than treat. Good luck with her new fish.

Back
Top Bottom