Silly question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Where do you buy the black plastic banding that goes around the top of the outside of the tank? I have looked at lfs's around here and no one sells it, besides which it would probably be too expensive even if they did sell it. I want to build a canopy for one of my tanks but it is all glass and the banding would make it easier for the canopy to have a lip to rest on.

Are you talking about the tank trim? You may be able to buy it from the manufacturer. I purchased one for my 55gal for about $15, including shipping. The first one arrived broken (which they said is a common occurrence) and they shipped a second one for free.

fishfreek said:
http://www.thatfishplace.com sells the plastic tank frames.

Are you saying the tank you have now does not have this top frame? If so whats keeping the glass seams together from the water pressure?

I assume it is just the glass with the silicone, it has a glass center piece in the middle of the tank that adds strength, the glass cebter piece is 8" wide. The tank has been up and running for 4 years at a friends house.

If it has a glass brace, I am not sure if a stock trim piece will work unless you remove the plastic brace, or the glass brace is offset enough not to interfere with the plastic trim. Every tank that I have seen with a glass center brace does not have the top trim. Even so, my experience is obviously not universal, so there may be a way to make it work, or there may be a trim piece that is made for that type of tank.

I can make it work by cutting out the trim piece around the glass brace. I am only interested in using the trim for purposes of a DIY canopy. I will check the website fishfreek suggested and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom