Skimmer or refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys, so i have this 20H nano reef with AI SOL nano lighting (cut rim to fit mount). Theres an aquaclear 70 filter on it which is stuffed with purogen and live rock rubble (and a phosphate removing pad which is temporary) and not to mention a powerhead... Now ive been looking into either a skimmer OR a hang on back refugium and/or possibly a phosphate reactor.. Now i understand some of these arent totally nessasary in a nano, but it should do nothing but benefit the aquarium and its inhabitants! Now i only have space for one of these things being its only a 2 foot tank, and i dont have space to have something under the tank so thats out of the question :(

Which would you guys think is best? I was thinking refugium but please tell me otherwise if im wrong!

Thanks guys

image-2895420949.jpg

IMO for a tank that size the skimmer will do much more than a small hob fuge.

Hmm really? The route im trying to get on is water change free. Basically an ecosystem.. BUT thet may require all three components and a LOT more water... Just taking a shot in the dark

Also trying to avoid algae and diatoms.. Which the fuge would remove the nitrate which could be the cause of that stuff.. Been doing 10% water changes twice a week to try to keep it down, its slowly improving lol

Hmm really? The route im trying to get on is water change free. Basically an ecosystem.. BUT thet may require all three components and a LOT more water... Just taking a shot in the dark

Also trying to avoid algae and diatoms.. Which the fuge would remove the nitrate which could be the cause of that stuff.. Been doing 10% water changes twice a week to try to keep it down, its slowly improving lol

I think you will need a much larger system to make it self sustaining with no water changes. A hob fuge is nowhere large enough to remove nitrates faster than pest algae. It will help a little but a skimmer will pull out much more. Just my opinion but I'm not a big fan of refugiums unless they are very large. Most pest algae goes away with time and water changes. Once a tank matures and you are using a good water source nitrates, and phosphates should be kept at a minimum.

Yeah i know exactly what my issue is, i us RO water not RODI.. Im assuming thats part of the problem but i suppose ill do a skimmer and see what happens. Its cheaper and easier anyway lol

The 2 skimmers i was looking at was the hydro and the red sea prizm.

I like both they both seem to have their perks im not sure which to go for tho

I also vote for the skimmer, more of a benefit to the tank. I would pass on the red sea prizm, I have heard nothing but bad about it. The slim skims come much more highly recommended, if I needed a nano skimmer that is what I would buy.

+1 skimmer. Really helps to do the brunt work before your other filtration systems start working.

Thanks everyone,
Heard amazing reviews on this 'hydro' nano skimmer, dont know a whole lot about it. We have a prizim at mt job, its loud but seems to work well. I also like it because it uses air with the pump not an air pump(ie biocube skimmer)
Replacing those wood air stones gets irritating and i havent had much luck with them

Hydor def.. if for no other reason than they have great customer service. I have full confidence that their skimmer works great

Ok thats great to know
And i always thought it was an airstone until i watched the video just now

Hah, ill probably get the hydor, The prizim at my job works great but the reviews on the hydor are too good to pass up, and its actually cheaper than the prizim here at my shop..
Hydor wins!
Thanks everyone!!!!

They make a hang on back with skimmer and fuge together. I believe it is the aquafuge. I have been using fr two years and love it. Three sizes of hob fuge skimmer combos.

Back
Top Bottom