Skunk Shrimp Always die!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrAzYeLiTe22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, im not going to buy another one of these because they keep dying! i have had two in the past week and they both died.

1st one i bought. drip acclimated for 30 minutes, he died 23 hours later. he was hiding a lot and a little lethargic...

2nd on i bought 3 days ago. drip acclimated for 45 minutes this time. he died today. He has been active and has even cleaned my hand several times. i am going to go insane!

My tank is a 38 gallon with aragonite substrate (2-3 inches) and 32 pounds of premium LR. Current USA nova T5 with 2 18k actinic and 2 10k daylight. nitrite/nitrate/ammonia are at zero. salinity 1.026 phosphates 0. PH 8.4; my tank is picture perfect as far as chemistry goes but the shrimps are dropping like flies.

In the tank i have:
20 reef hemits (15 red, 5 blue)
1 emerald crab*
1 small green anemone*
1 rock has a minor infestation of aiptasia
*hitchhikers

what is my problem? please help!

Hmm... that's odd. Acclimation sounds OK. Water parameter seem OK.

How long has the tank been up, and are there any fish in it yet?
Is the tank brand new? If not, was it ever treated with copper-based medication?
Are you adding anything to the water, other than salt?

Hmm... that's odd. Acclimation sounds OK. Water parameter seem OK.

How long has the tank been up, and are there any fish in it yet?
Is the tank brand new? If not, was it ever treated with copper-based medication?
Are you adding anything to the water, other than salt?

the tank is a little over a week old. it was fully cured LR so just a small ammonia spike in the beginning. and no i havnt ever put anything into the tank except water... if there was copper present, i doubt the emerald would be doing so well. what do you think?

Hmm, I have problems with keeping cleaners alive in my tank and peppermints, until recently. Are you getting them from the same store?
Are you sure they haven't molted and are hiding until their exoskeletons harden?

Hmm, I have problems with keeping cleaners alive in my tank and peppermints, until recently. Are you getting them from the same store?
Are you sure they haven't molted and are hiding until their exoskeletons harden?

yes im sure... i gave up on them. i purchased a occelaris clown yesterday and it seems to be good. he always just sits in the corner of the tank swimming downward... so idk haha

*edit* he was swimming all around the tank this morning, and he ate after just 2 days!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom