Slow Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Green

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I started my tank on Dec. 24th and fish were added on Dec. 27th. I have been testing daily since then and it appears the cycle has not started at all. My current levels are:

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <5

I have not vacuumed the gravel or cleaned the filter yet. Would you say this is a slow cycle or is something else going on?

Below is the link to my original post explaining what is in the tank.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/29-gallon-help-186674.html

Thank you for the help.

Hm. You definitely have enough fish to go through the cycle so lack of ammonia isn't the issue. Are you using dechlorinator with water changes? If so what kind?

Something else worth checking into is your actual water. I am assuming your on city water (pittsburgh). I would contact your local water authority & have them verify the amounts of chlorine being added to your water. If they cant answer this, they can come out & test your water for free. I believe reports are available online as well if you do some searching. My chlorine levels are almost double of what a standard dose of Prime can dechlorinate so I need to almost double my doses of dechlorinator/conditioner. Worth checking into!

i started a tank just after christmas (20 gallon) with several fish and I am probably in the same place you are. I just started to see a hint of nitrites yesterday I think. you are probably going to be a little behind me since your tank is bigger. I would wait another 2 weeks and I bet you will be seeing something soon. you are doing very well with your water changes

Hi all, sorry it took me a bit to reply.

I am using Aqueon Water Conditioner. I was using a Tetra brand as it came with the tank.

I have the ability to measure my Chlorine levels. Currently they are the following:

Tank:
Free Chlorine=0ppm
Total Chlorine=0ppm

City Water
Free Chlorine= 0.88ppm
Total Chlorine= 0.97ppm

I tested the tank today and everything is the same:
pH=8.0
Ammonia=<0.5 (doing 50% change today)
NO2=0ppm
NO3=<5ppm

City Water Tested today:
Ammonia=0ppm
NO2=0ppm
NO3=5ppm

The slow cycle continues and I see no signs of NO2. The color remains the same at 0ppm. Should I clean the filter media or leave it alone for now? It is getting pretty funky on the inside of the filter housing. Thanks again for the help.

I wouldn't touch the filters. "Funky" how? If it's black, that's normal. If you can see debris in there or if there's debris shooting back into the tank you can lightly (LIGHTLY) swish the filter media in old tank water during a water change just to clear the debris that may be in there.

So you're dechlrinating the water so that's good; you're treating the water prior to putting it into the tank, right? Your PH is good too, so the cycle isn't stalled due to low PH. What's the temperature in the tank?

What size tank and what fish are in there?

I wouldn't touch the filters. "Funky" how? If it's black, that's normal. If you can see debris in there or if there's debris shooting back into the tank you can lightly (LIGHTLY) swish the filter media in old tank water during a water change just to clear the debris that may be in there.

So you're dechlrinating the water so that's good; you're treating the water prior to putting it into the tank, right? Your PH is good too, so the cycle isn't stalled due to low PH. What's the temperature in the tank?

What size tank and what fish are in there?

29 Gallon Tank. I treat the water before it goes in the tank. Temperature of the tank is spot on 78 Degrees F. Fish I have are one Silver Molly and 2 Sunburst Platy's. I did have another Silver Molly, but the fish passed awhile ago. Looked like he or she got picked on maybe before I brought it home. The filter is just dirty so I may just wait a bit and clean it in some tank water. I have been debating a new filter with new media, but I want the tank to cycle before I do that. I plan on putting the old media in front of the new media when I do this.

I am not an expert, but our tanks are pretty close to the same start date. I still say hang in there for a little longer. the important thing is not really to worry about whether it is cycled or not but to make sure your water quality is ok for your fish. yours seems to be ok so just keep testing and doing water changes as required. I bet you will see some changes soon. my ammonia is holding lower than it used to and I am just starting to see a hint of color in the nitrites. I think you will be seeing changes soon.

Back
Top Bottom