Snail Bubbles?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kadoozey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 3ish gallon bowl with a betta I've had happily in there for a while, and he's a very social fish so I thought I should add something to his tank.

Yesterday I got a gold mystery snail and added it to the bowl and it seemed fine doing donuts around the inside of the bowl, and the betta was curious at first but has left the snail alone as far as I can tell.

This morning I noticed the snail has remained in one place near the top of the water and a large congregation of bubbles that seems to have come out of it. It kind of looks like a betta bubble nest but I think it is from the snail.

I have one anubias plant and I fed it an algae wafer I got from a friend, but I fed one also to my two other snails in my 10 gallon.

Is there anything wrong with my snail? If so, what? :(

It's not uncommon for them to roam to the top of the tank.

Have you checked the water parameters?

Caleb

nitrite/nitrate/ammonia basically not there because i just did a 50% water change

However I also have basically no hardness which is probably the problem as I have read that snails like calcium and harder water. Perhaps my plants are taking the hardness out of the water (I also have a house plant like pothos with its roots in the water).

I don't know what alkalinity is but it is @ about 180ppm

pH is just a tad higher than 7.5

Is there something I should do to add water hardness/ calcium? I will try moving the snail to the other tank for now where the water is a bit harder.

0707151450-01.jpg

I swapped the snails around and almost immediately upon entering the 10 gallon my snail extended this little appendage thingy. Was it breeding?

Back
Top Bottom