snail calcium and gh and mg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Dear friends

I have 4 questions that are all related, that i don't have hands on experience. Any question you can answer will help.

1-i am wondering, if 15 ppm of calcium and a GH of 100 ppm is ok for Ramshorn Snail is ok? an later even shrimps

2-i also wonder how fast a 1'' cuttlerbone in a 33 gallon will make a difference in ppm calcium, its 4.5 gram and how much time, it will take to dissolve in a spot where there not a lot of movement?

3-last but not least, i calculated 20ppm of mg with this formula. is it right?
i will up my mg to 20ppm more to a total of 120gh.
Hagen Nutrafin, Ca test in 10 ml
((20 x GH drops) - (25 x Ca drops)) /4.1 = Mg ppm

4: info: i calculated calcium in 10ml(usaly its 5ml). i added 14 drops then 6 drops then 2 drops, after the 2 drops, it tern color. is it right?

Lol this hurts my head!!!! I dose a small amount of kents liquid calcium ( its for salt water but can be used safely in fresh just at about 1/8 the dose, i just put a little a couple times a week) and TUMS the fruit flavored kind. My snails love them!

Thank but that don't answer any of the question. i just hope its easy to understand what i am saying.

1-i am wondering, if 15 ppm of calcium and a GH of 100 ppm is ok for Ramshorn Snail is ok? an later even shrimps

Should be ok. Just feed the snails calcium. TUMS really works.
Shrimp should be ok.

2-i also wonder how fast a 1'' cuttlerbone in a 33 gallon will make a difference in ppm calcium, its 4.5 gram and how much time, it will take to dissolve in a spot where there not a lot of movement?

I wouldn't bother

3-last but not least, i calculated 20ppm of mg with this formula. is it right?
i will up my mg to 20ppm more to a total of 120gh.
Hagen Nutrafin, Ca test in 10 ml
((20 x GH drops) - (25 x Ca drops)) /4.1 = Mg ppm

What formula?

4: info: i calculated calcium in 10ml(usaly its 5ml). i added 14 drops then 6 drops then 2 drops, after the 2 drops, it tern color. is it right?

No idea. :confused:

On the last question are you talking about the liquid test kit for calcium? It takes 20 drops of the test liquid for it to change color in my tank. My KH is off the charts because I feed calcium supplements to my snails and shrimp. The fish have shown no adverse reactions to it. I have neons, guppies, and mollies.

I think the problem is that you're using a Kh scale with which most folks on here aren't familiar. (ppm instead of Degrees). Also, you seem to be trying to accomplish a specific Kh/Gh range that most of us don't bother worrying about unless keeping sensitive fish.
While my snail knowledge is slight, I believe it's better for them to ingest the calcium rather than pulling it out of the water column.

ok then. tank you. its seems gh and kh do not bother snail at all. i don't like adding any calcium tablets in they aquarium, i like to keep my calcium ppm low so that i don't get any algae problem and a stable gh. but if its they only way i will do it.

Back
Top Bottom