Snails, Sand and Seeking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeeLee2013

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, since I'm rescaping my 36g, I've decided to go with a combo Eco-Complete black and Tahitian Moon Sand (also black) for the substrate. I remember from my biology classes that snails play a decent role in aquaria and aeration/clean-up, so I have two big questions:

1 - should I add snails into my soon-to-be-planted tank? If so, what kind will not create a snail population explosion assuming I don't overfeed?

2 - does a healthy planted tank require snails in order to stay healthy? Or is it a matter of personal preference?

Thanks for the advice in advance! :thanks:

So, since I'm rescaping my 36g, I've decided to go with a combo Eco-Complete black and Tahitian Moon Sand (also black) for the substrate. I remember from my biology classes that snails play a decent role in aquaria and aeration/clean-up, so I have two big questions:

1 - should I add snails into my soon-to-be-planted tank? If so, what kind will not create a snail population explosion assuming I don't overfeed?

2 - does a healthy planted tank require snails in order to stay healthy? Or is it a matter of personal preference?

Thanks for the advice in advance! :thanks:

Personal preference. Nerites won't breed.
Pond, MTS, and Ramshorns will breed.

I have MTS to aerate sand. I have all 3 types in this tank. I have to trap and thin out periodically.

Currently I need to clean out some empty shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Aye, personal preference. I love apple snails and keep a couple in my tanks. They'll eat algae but not at a rate that will offer a means of control.

I keep Malaysian trumpet snails myself.. I do like how they stir up the substrate and don't bother plants. I used to keep mini ramhorns and pond snails to feed my Indian dwarf puffers. Nerites are definitely efficient algae eaters, just hated their egg laying though.

Back
Top Bottom