Snakehead/red belly piranha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have decided I enjoy helping my daughter so much with her aquarium and my wife is saying that I'm high jacking it that it's time for me to get my own. Before anyone jumps both snake heads and piranhas are legal where I live. I am looking at probably a 60-90 gallon tank. I was shopping at the lfs and saw both species and they really caught my eye.
I was looking for feedback on which to choose but actually I'm not really set on either. My idea was to do something that is not common and I love the predator type fish. So I am really open to suggestions.

Thanks

A shoal of Piranhas would look awesome in a 90 gallon. I believe snakheads get pretty big, not too sure though. Either way, go for it!

Well after further research tonight for sure the snake head is a no go. I also realize I want some color and the snakehead is supposed to be a solo resident. This tank will be going in what I like to call the man cave so it needs to be stunning or I'll never hear the end of it. Maybe a school of piranha would be cool

I'd go with the piranhas!
My cousin has a 100 gallon tank with a few of them pretty unique fish and feeding time is definitely something interesting
He has tannins in there to make it natural looking with not so bright lights since they prefer the darkness a bit definitely is something that gets your attention
Make a thread of it if you choose to do so !

Definitely piranhas!! My big bro has a 210 with 15 and their feeding frenzies are awesome to watch! Once older I think they're a very good looking fish. I have an even better idea but its kind of expensive. How much are you willing to spend on fish???

The most beautiful snakehead is actually only about 8 inches long. Couldnt you have a couple of those?

When I started working at a fish store, I had 4 juvenile oscars in a 45. Someone brought in a Snakehead I fed it and fell in love. Traded the oscars and took the snakehead home.

They go to the top and suck in air and sit on the bottom looking around. If a goldfish is in the tank the hit it blindly fast and AIR BUBBLES float to the top. Cool fish. And twenty years ago, it was legal then, I don't know if they are legal in my state of Washington anymore. If they are legal for you, they are fun and have personality.

I got a 90 gallon as well that I was wanting something unique in also...my husband wanted piranhas but I kinda want something that I can have different type of fish in...let me know how it works out and what you choose!

As usual some unforeseen expenses came up and my new tank is on hold for now. I actually had decided on the piranhas and then went into the lfs to order them when I saw a fresh water ray they just got in.... I fell in love thinking that's exactly what I want then as always seething happened.

You can also go with African Cichlids and do a all male Peacock and Hap tank. They ave gorgeous colors and not nearly as messy to clean up after. After seeing some feeding frenzies on Youtube, I would hate to have to clean that mess up every time lol.

If it was me I wouldn't do the piranha. For the reason being they are boring until they are feed, plus in a 90 gallon you could only do one. The stingray would need a tank double the size of a 90 to start out with but a tank of 4x4x4' would be best for long term.

If it was me I'd aim for new or old world cichlids. Or maybe look into doing brackish water.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Back
Top Bottom