So many 'schools' of thought on WCs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been reading the threads about water changes. When and how much.
If it is an Ammo. problem, experienced folks all have a different opinions on the %. My question is: If you constantly do water changes during an in-fish cycling, do you not just keep setting the BB back and prolonging the whole cycling? I understand that a 10% WC for cleaning is necessary, and there are chemicals to help the fish with the problems of too much Ammon, low pH, etc. What are your thoughts?

Well, The reason you do the water changes is to save your fish. Your fish only have a tolerance of so much build up of the bad stuff. Each has its own side effects. This is how I figured out how much water to change. I have a 20 high, with in fish cycling. Lets say I test and I have a 1.0 amm, 1.0 NitRITES, and 5 NitRATE. that is the danger zone for amm and Nitrite. You would do a larger water change of 50-75 % to drop the number, Then test again. You want to keep the numbers in the safe range, NitRITES are nasty for fish. Too much ammonia can cause burns on the fish. If you use PRIME it will turn some of the bad stuff TEMPORARILY safe. Then the levels would rise again. A TEST KIT IS NEEDED FOR FISH IN. If you do fish in be prepared do to ALOT of water changes. I think for one cycle I did, I changed 15% of the tank every day for 3 weeks. If you don't your fish could become sick, gasp from lack of oxygen, become ammonia burned, swelling/redness of the gills, more susceptible to ich or disease.

As Ocean Girl said, yes you are increasing the time it takes to cycle but conversely you're reducing the damage it does to your fish. Just do fish less cycling and you don't need to change your water till it's cycled :)

One alternative is to do a fish in cycle with lots of planning (ie light stock, planting, bacteria supplement, etc). It's very possible that a brand new tank can be set up and stocked immediately with no need for water changes (out of the weekly routine), Ive done it many times.

Back
Top Bottom