Softened water start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caincando1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've set up and maintained dozens of fresh water tanks over my 30 year. But would you believe they were all on city or well water with no softeners. We just moved into a new house with a well and a water softener. I have 6 tanks sitting the garage waiting to get set up. Then I realized, I don't know what to do with soft water. I feel kind of dumb. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lonewolfblue said:
How soft is the water? What's the ph, kh, and gh?

All my testing equipment is packed away in a box somewhere, so I haven't even tested the water yet. We just moved 4 days ago so I haven't even unpacked yet. I didn't even think about the soft water till the wife mentioned now much different her hair felt after showing compared to the old house. 8O 8O I realized that if she can notice a difference I better figure out what I'm going to with the aquariums. It will be a week a couple of weeks before I can start setting one up. But I figured I'd better get a game plan now considering I've never had to deal with a water softener before.

Lonewolfblue said:
You can also check to see if there's a bypass on the water softener. Some have them.

Good call, I'll see if unsoftened is easily available in the house. I'd rather not have to haul water out of the basement or in from outside if I don't have to. But I will test the water both ways, softened and un softened and see what it's like.

Back
Top Bottom