Soil leeching into water column?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MJPO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Woke up today with the water a slight brown tint. Newly set up tank- in fact it was the first night. I have about an inch of sand capped over soil. Could the soil leak into the water column still to slightly tint it? I also have four large rocks from the backyard in there. I had boiled them to get all of the stuff off of them but maybe I failed to get EVERYTHING.

What kind of soil? If it has peat moss in it then that could leach some tannins.

What kind of soil? If it has peat moss in it then that could leach some tannins.
It's miracle gro organic =/
Woke up today with the water a slight brown tint. Newly set up tank- in fact it was the first night. I have about an inch of sand capped over soil. Could the soil leak into the water column still to slightly tint it? I also have four large rocks from the backyard in there. I had boiled them to get all of the stuff off of them but maybe I failed to get EVERYTHING.

Oh yeah that stuff is probably 60% peat moss and composted tree bark. Loaded with tannins. Shouldn't hurt the water but tannins do soften and lower ph. Something to watch for when it gets too dark. Use water changes to dilute it to a tolerable level.

Oh yeah that stuff is probably 60% peat moss and composted tree bark. Loaded with tannins. Shouldn't hurt the water but tannins do soften and lower ph. Something to watch for when it gets too dark. Use water changes to dilute it to a tolerable level.
What soil should I change it to you think?

You don't need to change the soil. Adding activated charcoal to the filter will clear the water. The yellow/brown tint caused by tannins is natural and completely harmless. It will go away on its own with frequent water changes.

I don't have any experience with dirted tanks. I have read some threads about success with Miracle Gro and use the soil a lot for gardening. I would ride it out through the cycle and just see how it goes. Tannins are not bad by any means just when they get to high concentrations and cause a drastic ph drop. Eventually it will stop leaching tannins out of the soil. I would give it a month or two and reconsider then if needed. Someone with more experience may be able to tell you otherwise.

Just curious, are you doing a fishless cycle then? What will you plan on stocking? Just interested ?
I have the beginnings of a journal over in the planted tank section!!!! Going to mostly be plants with maybe a few types of tetras and a pair of GBR'S. Go check it out!

Back
Top Bottom