South American Cichlid Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesDG98

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there everyone!
I am considering setting up my second tank and i would like to make it a South/Central American tank. I would like to make it a 29 gallon with a 30x12 footprint. I don't want breeding pairs, as i know that they would be overly aggressive during spawning. I was thinking one convict, one fire mouth, one jewel, and one BN pleco. Would this be overcrowding? Would they fight over territory, and would they annoy the BN?
Thanks in advance!
James

The bn would probably be fine but the cichlids would most likely fight. Plus jewels are west African river cichlids and firemouths/convicts are CA. So technically it would be a CA or African tank lol. I'd pick one of the 3 and just do that with some dithers.
Or you could shoot for a dwarf genus such as apistogrammas or rams

Thanks for the advice guys!
Just another question, would any of those cichlids be compatible with 6-8 tiger barbs? I have gotten mixed opinions on whether or not they would be able to hold their own.
Thanks again

Thanks for the advice guys!

Just another question, would any of those cichlids be compatible with 6-8 tiger barbs? I have gotten mixed opinions on whether or not they would be able to hold their own.

Thanks again

I don't have firsthand experience with the barbs yet but I think it depends on the the cichlid's personality. If you put them in make sure to monitor them. I have two firemouths and I think I could get it to work but like I said it depends on the fish ;)

I probably wouldn't try to mix cichlids and Barbs. bribo12 was right on with the answer given. Personally, in that size a tank, I would go with Apistos.

Back
Top Bottom